• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping pregnant Does together

joking1976

New Kit
Hello, I am new to the forum. I may have 2 pregnant Does, this is an accidental breeding as I was sold 3 females and seem to have 2 female and 1 male, I have separated the male. can I keep the sisters together while pregnant and have their kits? I seem to be getting very mixed information. They are bonded and there has been no fighting. any help that you can give would be appreciated. I removed the male 3 weeks ago.
Any help would put my mind at rest.
Thank you

How old are the girls, if they are less than 4 months old you may be lucky but you may not :?

How old are they all now?

I know some breeders keep does together while pregnant and while they have kits but I don't know much more than that. I'd ask on a rabbit forum that has breeders I think as they'd have more experience of it than people on this forum would.

I have asked breeders and I get good and bad so a bit confused. They are 14 weeks. I have filmed them and can see the babies moving. Vets are not much help either. Just worried about losing the mummies :-(

They are about 14 weeks, I can see movement in the tummies today. I have filmed it incase I was imagining things. Have spoken to couple of breeders but am getting mixed replies. Just concerned about the mummies.

One of the problems might be if both does choose the same nest site, then so I have read, they will fight to the death over it. I personally wouldn't chance it.

Oooo only 14 weeks poor babies :(

I'm not sure :? I think I would leave them together with plenty of space for two nests if possible :)

Plenty of bedding, hay and food if they are on junior food keep them on it or change and give them it as it is high calleries and they are going to need it :)

Good luck by the end of this you could end up with 14 extra rabbits :shock:

It's completely broken my heart that they are so young. Thought getting them from a knowledgable person I would be ok. Just turning the end of my garden into a Warren so best I best it done quicker. Spoke to the vet as concerned at their age but nothing they can do to help. Just got to keep an eye on them and give them all the need to help. Thank your for kind words was worried people who reply negatively due to age but I can a sure you it was not on purpose.

Are you sure you're seeing babies and not peristalsis?

With regards to the does, I think it depends on the does, however, it's not something I would recommend anyone does by choice because the risks are too great.

Fingers crossed though, they both aren't pregnant :)

I am hoping it's not babies. Guessing just have to wait and see. It's 21 days since removed buck so only max 14 days to wait. I am watching them like a hawk and have spare hutch ready in case. :)

Back