• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scent glands over-producing?

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello All,

So this is something that has puzzled me for a while.

Poppet, 5yr old dwarf lop - spayed and vaccinated - has seemingly over-producing scent glands. I don't know what to do... It doesn't bother me, but I don't want it to bother her either. I don't know if it does - this is the problem.

She's her usual self, eating, drinking and toiletting. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but when I clean around the area, she gives me little bunny kisses so it seems like she's happy to get extra help.

She had the beginnings of urine scald during the spring - vet had a look and advised to use Sudocrem. After using the cream, it seemed like the hair around the area started to fall out.

He urine scale has been dealt with, but scent glands seem to produce *a lot* of gunk, and when I wash the area, small bits of hair comes off (doesn't seem to hurt her).

She lives alongside a friend (separated by grid), she doesn't hump, she doesn't get humped, she doesn't over-groom the area, it doesn't look like vent disease (googled)...

My other bunnies don't have the same problem.

I don't know wether I should worry or not..?

do you know how to clean them out yourself? or do you mean your cleaning them and they are soon build up again

I know how to clean them out, that's not the problem. They fill up quickly, and stuff seems to be leaking out. It's not contained in the pockets, and it sort of covers some of the hair. When I wash it, the hair loosens and comes off. Her glands fill up quicker, and gunkier, than the other buns.

Hello All,

So this is something that has puzzled me for a while.

Poppet, 5yr old dwarf lop - spayed and vaccinated - has seemingly over-producing scent glands. I don't know what to do... It doesn't bother me, but I don't want it to bother her either. I don't know if it does - this is the problem.

She's her usual self, eating, drinking and toiletting. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but when I clean around the area, she gives me little bunny kisses so it seems like she's happy to get extra help.

She had the beginnings of urine scald during the spring - vet had a look and advised to use Sudocrem. After using the cream, it seemed like the hair around the area started to fall out.

He urine scale has been dealt with, but scent glands seem to produce *a lot* of gunk, and when I wash the area, small bits of hair comes off (doesn't seem to hurt her).

She lives alongside a friend (separated by grid), she doesn't hump, she doesn't get humped, she doesn't over-groom the area, it doesn't look like vent disease (googled)...

My other bunnies don't have the same problem.

I don't know wether I should worry or not..?

I don't think you should worry about the scent glands. I keep them clean using a cotton bud and some warm water.

I would be much more concerned about urine scald and fur loss because of it? So long as she isn't urinating on herself, and that's the cause of fur loss, I wouldn't worry too much.

interesting thread, I too was having the same problem
g.png

With your rabbit, I presume? :shock:

Back