• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver has sludge again and possible infection :(

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I feel bad that I have not picked up on this sooner. With Rosie and Cody being sick I just thought Oliver was hiding away more because of Rosie's sickness and after she passed away he was missing her. But he had been producing some sludge again and his appetite has reduced. I took both him and Cody to try vet yesterday. She expressed his bladder and there was some sludge present in the second pee that he did. Plus it smelt quite strong. Vet suspects bladder infection and he is on baytril now plus 0.5ml of the dog metacam daily now. He has lost weight and is now down from 1.8kg to 1.6kg. He is eating some hay and the wee hay bales , small amounts of sunflower seeds and a wee pinch of oats. He isn't keen on the low calcium veg. So I don't know how to get weight on him. How long should the baytril take to kick in? What about iceberg lettuce for sludge buns? I know generally it's a definite no no for buns but I had read that sludge buns can eat it as it helps hydrate them - I would only give a small amount. I had been giving some blueberries strawberries and some carrot which I have since read are high in oxalates which can make the problem worse also. Oliver isn't keen on the oxbow bunny basics T pellets either :( he has been a good hay eater in the past so I have ordered the oxbow orchard grass which should be here tomorrow so I hope he likes that. I hate to think of him having been in pain for so long the poor wee baby.

I would be cautious about giving him anything that he has not eaten without issue in the past. The Baytril may take several day to kick in, depending on the extent of his infection. The Medicam will help with the discomfort that can come with these infections.
Just as it helps us to drink more when we have UTI's or other issues, I believe you are correct to want to increase his fluids. May I suggest that you ask the vet to show you how to give sub-Q fluids if he needs more than you can syringe into his mouth? If he dehydrates, even a little, it will contribute to his feeling unwell.
Sending healing vibes.

Back