• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible EC?

Cozmo

Young Bun
Hi there,

I don't post often but in need of some advice.

We got a little Dutch rabbit not that long ago, and we were told she was about 4 months old (had her for 1 month), I think she was actually younger than what we were told as she seemed to be a little shaky, like young rabbits are when finding their feet.

Anyways, this morning my husband went to feed her and she was running in circles, with one of her back legs out, head tilted. I was still in bed and he ran to get me and by the time we came down she was fine. I got her out, checked her legs, nothing. She was moving fine. Just a little shaky. Put her food in and she didn't go mad for it like usual, as she normally wolfs it down, but nibbled and hasn't finished.

Her cage is in the living room so I went over to her cage again just now and she was curious of me and still a little shaky.

I booked her in for the vets, the earliest appointment is this afternoon, but they've said if he happens again to rush her down as an emergency.

I'm not sure whether it could be EC or maybe a neurological disorder of some sort because of this shakiness which I've been putting down to her being a bit young.

Young rabbits don't tend to be "shaky" so I hope the Vet can find out what is wrong with her and hope it's nothing serious. Someone else will be along with more advice hopefully.

She had another funny turn, I've never seen anything like it so quickly grabbed my phone. Its like she has the shakes! Her eyes dart around when she's coming out of it, she weed a lot, tilted her head very slightly.

I waited until I was happy enough I could move her without making her worse and rushed her to the vets. She was given a jab of metacam, and I came home with some, plus panacur, and baytril. The vet, from the video, doesn't know whether we're dealing with a brain issue or EC. I'm so scared for her. She's so wobbly on her feet, won't eat her food, but is tucking into hay like theres no tomorrow. She also keeps cleaning herself.

I just watched her tug at some hay and she did some bizarre head movement, twice.

I'm so worried!!

Would I be able to post the video to see if anyone can identify?

Last edited:
How scary. Just wondering how experienced your vet is with rabbits as I'm surprised that your rabbit wasn't admitted and no investigations were suggested (I'm only saying that as an owner, not that I have any experience of it).

Why not post the video and perhaps someone will take a look.

Yes post the video. When you say she keeps cleaning herself, is it at a specific part of her body. I only say this as a rabbit I took on a few weeks ago spent a lot of time "grooming" but I later found out he had fleas. I thought he was moulting, - just a thought.

She sounded like she knew a fair bit. I guess I will watch her much more than they will at the vets, especially if they are busy.

The grooming is only since the seizer/turn, and its all over. I will check her for fleas, but I feel like its more of a comfort thing because she feels strange after it happened.

I have been looking online since I got home and found this link where the video in it is similar to what Mayze experienced.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

Here is my little girl..
[video]http://vid17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/CozmoCreepers/IMG_6361_zpsrlcd2zl5.mp4[/video]

The age and the type of seizure etc make it sound very very much like EC that has been transferred whilst in the womb. We had a bun who had exactly the same. He also had the typical EC cataracts appear at the second seizure. We treated him with panacur and Metacam, and the seizures calmed down and the head tilt gradually lessened. However the slowly returned and intensified - and we had to use anti-spasmodic drugs when he was having a siezure. He was a really happy bun, undoubtedly bran damaged but SO affectionate. he eventually passed away at the age of 2.5 years - and is sadly missed.

It was very different to having a bun that had developed EC as an adult due to the brain damage that he had,.

My message really is please do not let the vet pursuade you that seizures and brain damage mean that you should give up on this bun - special needs buns like this can get treatment to help and can be incredibly affectionate and rewarding. - -

The age and the type of seizure etc make it sound very very much like EC that has been transferred whilst in the womb. We had a bun who had exactly the same. He also had the typical EC cataracts appear at the second seizure. We treated him with panacur and Metacam, and the seizures calmed down and the head tilt gradually lessened. However the slowly returned and intensified - and we had to use anti-spasmodic drugs when he was having a siezure. He was a really happy bun, undoubtedly bran damaged but SO affectionate. he eventually passed away at the age of 2.5 years - and is sadly missed.

It was very different to having a bun that had developed EC as an adult due to the brain damage that he had,.

My message really is please do not let the vet pursuade you that seizures and brain damage mean that you should give up on this bun - special needs buns like this can get treatment to help and can be incredibly affectionate and rewarding. - -

I agree with parsnipbun. I had a buck who developed the same symptoms as he reached puberty. He was treated with Panacur and Metacam

He did not develop cataracts but he did have numerous mini seizures in his sleep every day for the rest of his life. All 7 years of it !! He was a very chilled out Rabbit, exceptionally happy and with the appetite of a shire horse. So even if your Bun does have EC it need not necessarily be a 'no hope' situation.

Thank you for this Jacks Jane! Great to have your experience as well. Blackberry only lived 2.5 years due to the intensity of the seizures in the end - he would have major ones when awake but as you say for yours - he was an exceptionally happy bun whilst he was with us.

Thanks so much for your responses. I went back to the vets as she had 3 more and thy have given us an epilepsy drug. We are to continue with all drugs given. She had two this evening, one after the other seemingly. She kept trying to walk it off and kept falling over. I put a towel over her cage and she seemed to come out of them quickly.

I am not someone to give up on my animals, I promise, they are family. We will do all we can but have made the decision that once we learn to manage her condition, we will upgrade her cage and she will be an indoor bunny.

I really appreciate your comments and any more information or link you may know of is really appreciate.

I've come to bed now, and I hate leaving her downstairs but there is nothing I can do. I'm allergic to hay and shavings dust, so she can't stay in our bedroom...otherwise she'd be up here with us.

Hi there,

I don't post often but in need of some advice.

We got a little Dutch rabbit not that long ago, and we were told she was about 4 months old (had her for 1 month), I think she was actually younger than what we were told as she seemed to be a little shaky, like young rabbits are when finding their feet.

Anyways, this morning my husband went to feed her and she was running in circles, with one of her back legs out, head tilted. I was still in bed and he ran to get me and by the time we came down she was fine. I got her out, checked her legs, nothing. She was moving fine. Just a little shaky. Put her food in and she didn't go mad for it like usual, as she normally wolfs it down, but nibbled and hasn't finished.

Her cage is in the living room so I went over to her cage again just now and she was curious of me and still a little shaky.

I booked her in for the vets, the earliest appointment is this afternoon, but they've said if he happens again to rush her down as an emergency.

I'm not sure whether it could be EC or maybe a neurological disorder of some sort because of this shakiness which I've been putting down to her being a bit young.

I'm sorry to hear about your little one.

I have a little one who has had seizures that sound just like the ones you mentioned. It's scary, isn't it?

I took my rabbit twice to the vets, but they hadn't seen rabbits with seizures before and didn't know how to treat him, so he had no meds. I'm glad you've got some meds from your vet :D Can I ask what they prescribed for him?

She had a metacam injection, we have to give it orally too...plus panacur, baytril and this drug they give to epileptics.

Yes they have mentioned EC. She's having so many seizures though I don't know if she would have that many with EC.

I'm also concerned she hasn't eaten her food, we give her selective jr. We gave her a piece of carrot last night and then minutes later she had another seizure, so we took it out.

Last edited:
They do sound very frequent - can you try her on soaked selective slightly mushed? - less chance of choking if she has a fit.

She had a metacam injection, we have to give it orally too...plus panacur, baytril and this drug they give to epileptics.

Yes they have mentioned EC. She's having so many seizures though I don't know if she would have that many with EC.

I'm also concerned she hasn't eaten her food, we give her selective jr. We gave her a piece of carrot last night and then minutes later she had another seizure, so we took it out.

What is the epilepsy drug? I am wondering if a side effect concerns the appetite?

Just an update. Mayze had about 8 fits on the Monday. we haven't witnessed her have any more since then.

She's been on Metacam, Baytril, Panacur and Epiphen. Something is helping and she seems so much better. She went off her food for a few days but the side effects of the Epiphen is increased appetite, so happy with that. She's been binky-ing a lot which I'm not sure is a good thing. We have closened our bond and I'm am just glad she is doing so much better.

I am a little annoyed at the vets for not doing a blood test on her to see if it is EC...but as long as she's ok that's the main thing. And maybe in a few days I will make an appointment and request one.

I'm just not sure what to do about her vaccinations right now.

We've decided she will be an in door rabbit but will want her to experience going outside on the grass. Not sure what to do about that.

Just an update. Mayze had about 8 fits on the Monday. we haven't witnessed her have any more since then.

She's been on Metacam, Baytril, Panacur and Epiphen. Something is helping and she seems so much better. She went off her food for a few days but the side effects of the Epiphen is increased appetite, so happy with that. She's been binky-ing a lot which I'm not sure is a good thing. We have closened our bond and I'm am just glad she is doing so much better.

I am a little annoyed at the vets for not doing a blood test on her to see if it is EC...but as long as she's ok that's the main thing. And maybe in a few days I will make an appointment and request one.

I'm just not sure what to do about her vaccinations right now.

We've decided she will be an in door rabbit but will want her to experience going outside on the grass. Not sure what to do about that.

If Mayze were my bun I would not be thinking of vaccinating her right now - I would have to be sure she was healthy enough. See what your vet thinks?

Blood tests for E.C. are often inconclusive. I wouldn't bother with it.

Epiphen has been used by others on the Forum, with great success :D

I'm so glad to hear she is doing so well!

Back