• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

At vet for Pip's recheck and Mimzy too-U/D all is well at present post #11

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Pip will be rechecked by her vet and a follow up blood test on her liver. Mimzy is here because Griff fell on him last night about 2 a.m. in a failed jump to the kitchen counter and today Mimzy seems a bit more uncomfy in his back end than usual. There was a tuft of fur too so I need to be sure he wasn't clawed.
Poor buns have just been thoroughly sniffed by a dachsund that the posh owner didn't want or care to reign in. Honestly people drive me crazy.

So tired too...just came into town yesterday for groceries and have to take daughter to a doctor's appointment tomorrow...I'm so sleepy I need to get a Starbucks before I go home.
Busy week but I didn't want to leave the buns needing vets over the 4th of July weekend. :(

Updates to follow. :)

Last edited:
Pip will be rechecked by her vet and a follow up blood test on her liver. Mimzy is here because Griff fell on him last night about 2 a.m. in a failed jump to the kitchen counter and today Mimzy seems a bit more uncomfy in his back end than usual. There was a tuft of fur too so I need to be sure he wasn't clawed.
Poor buns have just been thoroughly sniffed by a dachsund that the posh owner didn't want or care to reign in. Honestly people drive me crazy.

So tired too...just came into town yesterday for groceties and have to take daughter to a doctor's appointment tomorrow...I'm so sleepy I need to get a Starbucks before I go home.
Busy week but I didn't want to leave the buns needing vets over the 4th of July weekend. :(

I hope both of them get a good 'all clear' from the vet! What an impudent cheek about the dachshund- I think I wouldn't have been as polite as you seem to have been ... :shock:

So tired too...just came into town yesterday for groceries and have to take daughter to a doctor's appointment tomorrow...I'm so sleepy I need to get a Starbucks before I go home.

At least at our vets they have the waiting area broken up into three areas, one for dogs, one for cats and one for exotics! So this does tend to help unless like last time we were seated next to a python!!!

I hope all goes well for Pip and Mimzy. I also hope that C gets on OK at her Doctor's appointment. I know what you mean about feeling tired !

Thanks everyone :)
Well, a few odd things. Pip's protein (albumin) levels are still lower than 'normal'...apparently the vet doesn't want to do anything about this at present, but if and when Pip needs other veterinary care, he will draw bloods to see if the levels are just 'her normal' or if we see other signs of illness, such as edema, which would indicate a kidney or intestinal problem. (Hope that made sense, it really didn't to me when he explained it. Something about how protein binds with water in the body.) He didn't test her globulin this time, but did look at her bile results and they are normal. It's just the protein that's the problem.
He said they could do an intestinal biopsy to see if she has a malabsorption issue, but of course this doesn't work well for bunnies. (This I knew.) A dog or cat could come through it okay, but rabbit's digestive systems are too delicate. So I need to just watch her and see if anything else develops. It could also be kidney dysfunction, but he said it would be difficult if not impossible to diagnose. He did not tell me what kind of illness he suspected. (Likely he didn't want me googling it.)

He drew her repeat bloods from her neck again. >_< This really cheesed her off (I wasn't thrilled either) and she let us know by soundly thumping and stamping once back in her carrier. I think she actually waited for the vet to leave first and then stamped, then did it again once I got her in the car. She did bleed a little after her stick, which distressed me, but the vet seemed to think it was no big deal. I wish he could take it from her ear like her former vet could, but I guess he doesn't do that. :( I really don't want her stuck there each time, so it's going to take a bit to convince me she needs it again. She is still not happy tonight but comes to see me when I put my hand up to her, so I think she's forgiven me. The vet did begin to say something about her projected lifespan, then dropped it. Should I be concerned about the low protein or is it possibly something we could put down to stress? Perhaps I'm not feeding her properly? What am I missing?
I would like to ask members here if any of this sounds like something I should pursue, maybe with a different vet for a second opinion, or if I should just allow Pip the comfort of an undisturbed future, especially if it's likely to be short...because it seems to me that all my bunnies have been nothing but upset by their recent vet visits and if I am overdoing it I want to stop so they can lead happy lives in their golden years.

She is considered well by the vet and he didn't prescribe any further medication. She is still leaning just a bit to her right when resting, but I'm not sure if she hasn't always done this and I just didn't notice. There is no more sign of infection but he did admit he couldn't see into her ear as well this time for a number of reasons, too many to list here.

Mimzy...ahh my little terror. He was VERY angry that I had dragged him to the vet yet again and showed it by dropping nasty cecals in the vet's lap and digging and chewing anything that came to hand. But the vet found it all amusing and recognized it for what it was, Mr. Cranky Britches strikes again. He couldn't find anything untoward on him, but didn't want to blanket him with abx, so just told me to feel his skin very carefully for the next few days and if I found any lumps of any kind to call, they would get some baytril up for him. I just hope I don't find one on Saturday, they will be closed for the holiday.
He did say that Mimzy's cataracts are advancing, so that is kind of sad. My poor little man has enough trouble with balance, to not be able to see well is just more disability he doesn't need. :( Probably the reason why he didn't see the cat coming. :cry:

I'm still cross with Griffy. I know he couldn't help it, but I've tried to keep him off the counter above the exercise pen because I really have nothing to put a roof on it with. (And if I did, Griff would just use that as a new place to sleep and then Mimz would have to put up with him watching him all the time!) I need to do a major overhaul of all the habitats but I need room to do it first. If I could sleep on the couch (if we had a couch) they could all have my room and be very happy there. I could shut the cats out of there, but the kitchen is a hub of activity and I don't want the bunnies shut away with no socialization either. Nowhere else to put the cats, so some brainstorming is well overdue.

Sooo...that's the latest poop! :) Thank you all for thinking of us today. And thank you Jane, for your kind thoughts for C. I will pass them on to her. She is very upset at having to deal with her GP again and really just wants all the doctors to leave her be. And we have another blood test this month, so she is bound to be fed up to the gills for awhile, poor thing. :(

Everything always seems to happen at once doesn't it :shock: I don't have any advice to give, but wanted to send vibes all round.

Could you use a net or sheet over the pen, or maybe a piece of mesh? xx

Still thinking of you MimzMum and sending vibes that all will be calm and sort itself out. So much going on there, but I'm glad you retain your sense of humour and perspective despite all :wave:

Thanks MM and Zoobec :)
Okay...I can see why the vet didn't want me googling anything. I won't jump to any conclusions, (because this could be related to her metacam dose or just the fact that with the hot weather she's not really drinking enough) but perhaps we're looking at something like this in the future:

https://books.google.com/books?id=y...wBg#v=onepage&q=low albumin in rabbit&f=false

The two paragraphs on this page; 2.3.2 Total protein and 2.3.3 Albumin. I mean she is 8 years old, approximately, so I would guess since she's had some trouble with stasis and some kind of urinary tract issues as well, that we could be looking at the beginnings of kidney/liver disease.

I'll just have to keep an eye on her. Not like I don't already do that. She's a good girl and despite having to have some nasty blood draws she's tolerated her vet visits well. Amazing how she's bounced back from the rolling episode and that very bad stasis she had in May. Tough cookie this one. :love:

Thanks MM and Zoobec :)
Okay...I can see why the vet didn't want me googling anything. I won't jump to any conclusions, (because this could be related to her metacam dose or just the fact that with the hot weather she's not really drinking enough) but perhaps we're looking at something like this in the future:

https://books.google.com/books?id=y...wBg#v=onepage&q=low albumin in rabbit&f=false

The two paragraphs on this page; 2.3.2 Total protein and 2.3.3 Albumin. I mean she is 8 years old, approximately, so I would guess since she's had some trouble with stasis and some kind of urinary tract issues as well, that we could be looking at the beginnings of kidney/liver disease.

I'll just have to keep an eye on her. Not like I don't already do that. She's a good girl and despite having to have some nasty blood draws she's tolerated her vet visits well. Amazing how she's bounced back from the rolling episode and that very bad stasis she had in May. Tough cookie this one. :love:

Sorry I somehow missed your update yesterday. I am not exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment.Try to focus on the here and now regarding Mimzy and Pp and not what may or may not happen in the future. I know all too well how detrimental it can be to start second guessing about what a Rabbit's prognosis may be. All it does is detract from the joy the present time we are sharing with them gives. I find the more I try to 'research' the more anxious I become, a little knowledge can be dangerous !! Thankfully C gives me a good talking to and gets my anxiety back under control. How C puts up with me I dont know !! Unless any new symptoms occurred and/or if either Mimz or Pip appeared not to be coping well on a day to day basis I would not be requesting lots of diagnostics at this stage. It's just my unqualified opinion of course !!

I am now going to try to take my own advice and refrain from getting even more anxious and upset about a few of my very elderly and very frail Rabbits. Not sure how successful I will be though...................

Thank you Jane, I share in your concern for your elderly bunnies. I am sorry some of them are struggling at present. ((((((Huge hugs)))))))

Maybe the vet was vague because he didn't want to speculate either. I agree that I should not put any of the bunnies (and the other pets as well where it applies) through any more testing unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes I do wonder if a lot of it is experimentation couched in 'professional diagnosticism.' (Is that a word?)
My vet admits to me, as we all know, that knowledge on rabbit health and disease is limited, but as much as I'd like to see rabbit veterinary care take a leap forwards, I would never have it done at the expense of my rabbits' quality of life!

Poor Pip is having a bit of a stress moult just from being hauled around the other day so I'm about to tackle her (gently of course) with the comb to see if we can bring a bit of it off her. She's passing a lot of pearl strings and even one is too many for me. Luckily she is eating well at the moment and drinking, but that could change if she swallows much more fur. Grooming can make her crabby but I think she secretly likes the attention she gets and I'll finish it off with a nice treat. :)

I can actually smell the wildfire smoke even with all the windows and doors closed. I bet the bunnies and cats and dogs are getting a good whiff too and it's giving me a headache, so I can only imagine how uncomfortable they are with it. So that could be another reason why they all look a bit unsettled.

Mimzy seemed well today, I haven't found any other odd things in his fur/skin. And Fiver needs a nail trim so I have plenty to keep me too busy to look on the internet! ;)

Back