• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding new male to current female.

daffodil.lemurs

Warren Scout
When Pippa was bonded with Otto she was definitely the dominant rabbit, they had quite an easy bond and bar one fallout they lived together happily. Didn't have any humping or chasing even during the initial bonding.
Since loosing Otto, Pippa has been a lot more affectionate and chilled out but she still needed a friend.
I'm attempting to bond her to Rusty today. I've got a pen set up in the bathroom as it's the only place Pippa doesn't go.
Rusty will not stop trying to hump her, they're circling and Pippa won't stop grunting. I think Rusty is a lot more dominant than Otto ever was and Pippa doesn't seem very happy. I've just separated them and Pippa has left cecotrophs and is just sat in the corner.
Have I tried bonding too soon or is the humping and chasing normal and I just need to let them get on with it?
I know introducing a male is more difficult but I don't know how much fighting is too much.
Thanks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I think he keeps humping her as he knows she needs to be more submissive, so he will keep on doing this as he wants to be the dominant one. Once she starts to run away from him things should get better. On the other hand, if she attacks him then I am not too sure if it will work. I think rabbits instinctively know what's needed some of the time! Try to keep them together for 2 or 3 days without separating. If you keep separating them then your female will keep gaining ground back and may finish up being very aggressive. Good luck. I am bonding 2 today, the boy is very soft so not sure how it will go. They seem ok atm.

Thanks tonibun, after my initial panic it all seems to be going very well and they're now free ranging in the bathroom.
How did your bonding go?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I am glad yours seem to be getting along. They are so much more fulfilled if they have a close friend, it seems.

My 2 are fine thank you. They have just spent the first night together in a big double hutch, there has been no fighting, Sammy (male) humps Cindy now and then, especially at food time :roll: My only problem is Sammy is used to free ranging the whole garden but I can't let Cindy do that just yet as I am not sure if she will come back in, so I will keep letting them have a bit more space until I feel confident she will come in (at food time).

Hope your 2 continue to get on :love:

Back