• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Allergies

lenslady

Alpha Buck
I am so sorry for all the questions the past few days, I expect your all fed up with them but this is kind of a nice question.

As most of you know, I picked up Bo on Tuesday and i've kinda had nothing but worries since I have had him. I am very observant with my Buns, mostly I think it is because I am home with them all day and don't have much else to do. Also my illness can make me a bit OCD at times and I can became obsessed with certain issues.

I have had issues with possible deafness, very low weight and sneezing. I am not worried about the possible Deafness because if he is deaf then I can learn to live with it and care for him accordingly and I would hope it wouldn't make his quality of life poor.
The weight I am monitoring and I am feeding him up on a good diet, he does have the Rabbit Royale aswel because he has been raised on it and I am not worried about selective eating because they eat all their pellets and Hay.

My concerns was the sneezing! First day home he did about 20 sneezes, yesterday afternoon he did about 5, he does not have watery eyes, there is no horrible gunk coming out of his nose.
His breathing is good but yesterday afternoon I noticed his nose was a bit wet and it was clear. So off I go trawling the net for answers.
I must add that I have started to use wood shavings and I have incorporated it into bedding areas and litter trays.

Anyway after researching sneezing in Rabbits, I found that sawdust/wood shavings are bad for them, can cause allergies and should not be used in low ventilated areas. He is a house bun so it isn't as ventilated as outdoors, even though I have the windows open all day.
So I emailed the breeder and mentioned this sneezing and she is adamant that she has never encountered sneezing amongst her buns, she also said it is a possible allergy.
I think he might in fact be a sensitive Rabbit. So I removed all sawdust/wood shavings from the pens and litter trays and he hasn't sneezed since yesterday afternoon :love:
Do Rabbits have allergies to things? Do you think he was allergic to the wood shavings if sneezing has stopped?
I shall not use it again and dispose of the bag. Also can i use newspaper or shredded paper instead?
He is a chewer so i have to be careful what i use.
xx

Last edited:
If you search on here, you will see threads about the dangers of using wood shavings/why they should be avoided.

If you search on here, you will see threads about the dangers of using wood shavings/why they should be avoided.

Thank You I will have a look. I only assumed it was the sawdust that was bad, thats why i got the soft wood shavings. I thought i could use it a substitute to cat litter :roll: Anyway Its all out of their living areas now. Thanks again x

Also should I stop using the cage cleaner until we have figured out what is causing what ? I use beaphar deep clean. xx

Yes, Rabbits can develop allergies. However, given Bo's low weight/failure to thrive and the fact that his sneezing is ongoing I would try to get him examined by your Vet ASAP.

Stress, eg moving to a new home, can trigger a latent pasteurella infection which can cause respiratory tract problems and ear problems amongst other things. I am not suggesting that infection is more likely to be an issue than is an allergy, but it is something that needs to be ruled in or out ASAP.

If Bo was housed outdoors at the Breeder's then it may be that it is an indoor environment that is causing the sneezing. Things like room fragrances, furniture polish, central heating can irritate the sensitive lining of a Rabbit's respiratory tract as they are obligate nose breathers.

I assume that he is quarantined away from your other Rabbits at the moment ?

I think the sooner you get your Vet to check Bo over the better for you too as you say you are anxious about him

Good luck xx

Yeah many animals are allergic to sawdust and pine/cedar shavings so hopefully that's all it is.:)

Also should I stop using the cage cleaner until we have figured out what is causing what ? I use beaphar deep clean. xx

Yeah I would just in case. :) Tbh I think cleaners aren't needed most of the time, water and white vinegar work well for routine cleaning. I know of UK reptile owners who use beaphar deep clean so I assume it's safe but lots of cleaners have toxic chemicals in them so I just avoid them altogether unless I need to disinfect due to possible illness.

Yes, Rabbits can develop allergies. However, given Bo's low weight/failure to thrive and the fact that his sneezing is ongoing I would try to get him examined by your Vet ASAP.

Stress, eg moving to a new home, can trigger a latent pasteurella infection which can cause respiratory tract problems and ear problems amongst other things. I am not suggesting that infection is more likely to be an issue than is an allergy, but it is something that needs to be ruled in or out ASAP.

If Bo was housed outdoors at the Breeder's then it may be that it is an indoor environment that is causing the sneezing. Things like room fragrances, furniture polish, central heating can irritate the sensitive lining of a Rabbit's respiratory tract as they are obligate nose breathers.

I assume that he is quarantined away from your other Rabbits at the moment ?

I think the sooner you get your Vet to check Bo over the better for you too as you say you are anxious about him

Good luck xx

Ok, well he lives on his own but he isn't away from my other rabbits. He goes into his playpen and the other 2 go over to sniff him.
I was going to move him upstairs the weekend as i need to move all my furniture around to accommodate him up there and only really have the time to do that on either Saturday or sunday.
He is out now as i type having his free range and he is so happy, he loves his freedom and he is a happy Rabbit. I Will phone the vets in a minute and get him booked in.
I also think he has put a tiny bit of weight on and his fur is already looking better, i've been grooming him and aiding his moult and he loves that. I've got all the dirty bits out of his fur. When he came home he had bits stuck in his fur, i even pulled a thorn out of it :shock:

Will let you all know when he gets booked in. xxx

It would be a shame if your anxiety about him detracted from the pleasure of having him. I agree with J-J: I would take him for a vet check ASAP so that you know what you are dealing with (or not).

Yeah many animals are allergic to sawdust and pine/cedar shavings so hopefully that's all it is.:)

Yeah I would just in case. :) Tbh I think cleaners aren't needed most of the time, water and white vinegar work well for routine cleaning. I know of UK reptile owners who use beaphar deep clean so I assume it's safe but lots of cleaners have toxic chemicals in them so I just avoid them altogether unless I need to disinfect due to possible illness.

Thanks for the advice William xx

I am so sorry for all the questions the past few days, I expect your all fed up with them but this is kind of a nice question.

As most of you know, I picked up Bo on Tuesday and i've kinda had nothing but worries since I have had him. I am very observant with my Buns, mostly I think it is because I am home with them all day and don't have much else to do. Also my illness can make me a bit OCD at times and I can became obsessed with certain issues.

I have had issues with possible deafness, very low weight and sneezing. I am not worried about the possible Deafness because if he is deaf then I can learn to live with it and care for him accordingly and I would hope it wouldn't make his quality of life poor.
The weight I am monitoring and I am feeding him up on a good diet, he does have the Rabbit Royale aswel because he has been raised on it and I am not worried about selective eating because they eat all their pellets and Hay.

My concerns was the sneezing! First day home he did about 20 sneezes, yesterday afternoon he did about 5, he does not have watery eyes, there is no horrible gunk coming out of his nose.
His breathing is good but yesterday afternoon I noticed his nose was a bit wet and it was clear. So off I go trawling the net for answers.
I must add that I have started to use wood shavings and I have incorporated it into bedding areas and litter trays.

Anyway after researching sneezing in Rabbits, I found that sawdust/wood shavings are bad for them, can cause allergies and should not be used in low ventilated areas. He is a house bun so it isn't as ventilated as outdoors, even though I have the windows open all day.
So I emailed the breeder and mentioned this sneezing and she is adamant that she has never encountered sneezing amongst her buns, she also said it is a possible allergy.
I think he might in fact be a sensitive Rabbit. So I removed all sawdust/wood shavings from the pens and litter trays and he hasn't sneezed since yesterday afternoon :love:
Do Rabbits have allergies to things? Do you think he was allergic to the wood shavings if sneezing has stopped?
I shall not use it again and dispose of the bag. Also can i use newspaper or shredded paper instead?
He is a chewer so i have to be careful what i use.
xx

Yes, a change of environment can trigger sneezing/allergies. I rehomed a bun a couple of years ago and when he first came to me he sneezed almost constantly for three weeks! He had NEVER been given hay in his previous home, so it was all new to him. I'm not saying Bo is allergic to hay, just that a change of situation can precipitate this type of thing.

Sawdust and wood shavings ought to be the first thing to go. I use litter trays lined with newspaper and then put hay/ straw on top.

Your breeder may well not have had him in close contact with too much hay. Breeders often keep their cages very clean but sparse, as they want to keep their rabbits clean for breeding and showing.

Of course, when he goes for his vet check and vaccinations, do mention it if it's still ongoing. As I said, it took three weeks for my bun's sneezing to settle, and the vet had checked him and found nothing wrong!

Yes, a change of environment can trigger sneezing/allergies. I rehomed a bun a couple of years ago and when he first came to me he sneezed almost constantly for three weeks! He had NEVER been given hay in his previous home, so it was all new to him. I'm not saying Bo is allergic to hay, just that a change of situation can precipitate this type of thing.

Sawdust and wood shavings ought to be the first thing to go. I use litter trays lined with newspaper and then put hay/ straw on top.

Your breeder may well not have had him in close contact with too much hay. Breeders often keep their cages very clean but sparse, as they want to keep their rabbits clean for breeding and showing.

Of course, when he goes for his vet check and vaccinations, do mention it if it's still ongoing. As I said, it took three weeks for my bun's sneezing to settle, and the vet had checked him and found nothing wrong!

The breeders Hutches and housing was clean but very minimal , no hay in any of the hutches but she said they had it at night and only a handful the size of the rabbit, so they arnt exposed to unlimited hay. Bo adores his hay, he can't get enough of it. I am almost certain it is an allergy because he's as bright and alert as a button. I knew about his low weight though and the breeder was honest with me about that and she only let him go to me because she knew what foods i had in and of course Gypsy came from her to and she she really likes the way i have raised gypsy so far. She did say that if he wasn't gaining then he could go straight back to her. so I am updating her with his progress atm. xx

The breeders Hutches and housing was clean but very minimal , no hay in any of the hutches but she said they had it at night and only a handful the size of the rabbit, so they arnt exposed to unlimited hay. Bo adores his hay, he can't get enough of it. I am almost certain it is an allergy because he's as bright and alert as a button. I knew about his low weight though and the breeder was honest with me about that and she only let him go to me because she knew what foods i had in and of course Gypsy came from her to and she she really likes the way i have raised gypsy so far. She did say that if he wasn't gaining then he could go straight back to her. so I am updating her with his progress atm. xx

I thought so ... Of course rabbits need unlimited hay, for their digestion and their teeth, and to keep them from being bored and eating your carpets! :shock::lol:

I thought so ... Of course rabbits need unlimited hay, for their digestion and their teeth, and to keep them from being bored and eating your carpets! :shock::lol:

I know. I didn't take that advice with me. There are certain things that she mentioned in regard to Rabbit care that i don't agree with or like. I don't like the way they are housed for one but in saying that I know she devotes a lot of time to them and they are all healthy, she has a french lop that is 12 this year :shock: I also think she fed them bread :shock: She currently has 4 new litters too. I'l never go to a breeder again though.
Mine are exposed to constant hay and pellets atm and then fed twice a day the rabbit royale. I am happy with their diet at the moment, i will start to cut it back when they reach 6 months but then i will be giving fresh food as one of their main meals, probably in the evening. xx

Gypsy does have herbs twice a week atm, only a bit but i am starting to introduce it to her slowly ready for the full switch and she adores them xx

Gypsy does have herbs twice a week atm, only a bit but i am starting to introduce it to her slowly ready for the full switch and she adores them xx

Mine get a lot of coriander and methi. Occasionally parsley and dill ... They love herbs - fun to eat :D

2nd day in a row with no sneezing! :love:, He is eating loads aswel, I have a feeling it was all the settling in to the new environment. He has put on weight and he is looking so much more alert and alive this morning :love: xx

2nd day in a row with no sneezing! :love:, He is eating loads aswel, I have a feeling it was all the settling in to the new environment. He has put on weight and he is looking so much more alert and alive this morning :love: xx

Good news :thumb:

More piccies (for us to confirm these facts, of course) would be very welcome! x

Back