• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing herbs - recommendations please

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Did some gardening today and cleared out an old planter right outside the back door. I think it will be perfect for growing herbs for Molly. What do you suggest I grow? She loves basil, mint and coriander which I buy for her. She doesn't like Rosemary.

Thank you!

Mint and lemonbalm are two of the hardest to kill herbs. Personally I have the most success with marjoram and parsley.

If I were you I'd buy a selection and see what survives to next summer, then buy more of whatever you're left with. That's my technique anyway!

Sounds good. OH has just pointed out that they would not get much sun, would that matter? Molly will be pleased to know that mint is easy to grow, gardening is not my forte.

Sounds good. OH has just pointed out that they would not get much sun, would that matter? Molly will be pleased to know that mint is easy to grow, gardening is not my forte.
Most herbs do like sun. I have the same problem, that's why I just stuck in one of everything and hoped for the best!
In my experience, basil is absolutely hopeless without sun and thyme falls shortly behind (which is a shame because lemon thyme is heaven). I don't think I ever had much luck with corriander in the shadier parts either.

If you have a sunny window you could try a window box for the sun-loving herbs.

I have lemon balm in a fairly shady corner and it does ok, though not as well as the massive clump I grow in the sun. I would just try a few and see how they do - my buns love thyme, mint, oregano, basil, coriander, sage, chervil and fennel. Often herbs do ok in less than ideal situations, I find.

Back