• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please Unwell Rabbit :( ... Updated :)

BrambleBun

New Kit
So my female spayed rabbit who is about 3-4 years old has stopped eating and is very lethargic and not moving much her stomach seems hard and swollen she wont drink so i have given her some water by syringe its now been 2 hrs since ive noticed the problem and all the vets are closed ad wont be open till tommorrow

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
It could be bloat if her tummy is hard and gassy. I'm afraid tomorrow will be too late - she needs to see an emergency vet for treatment right now or you could well lose her by morning. Please, please get her to a vet tonight as she'll be in a lot of pain :(.

I hope she pulls through - sending get well (((vibes))).

I'm afraid Mackers is right - you really do need to get your rabbit to a vet tonight: when rabbits are ill they go downhill extremely quickly. If you ring your normal vet there will be an answerphone message giving the number to ring for the emergency vet.

I really don't mean to sound harsh and I apologise if I came across as a bit authorititve. But I lost a bunny in under 24 hours to bloat - it was that quick. And I know the minute signs to watch out for so took immediate action. Sadly it was still too late for Pod :cry:. Please don't leave it until the morning with your little bunny - she needs help now.

I really don't mean to sound harsh and I apologise if I came across as a bit authorititve. But I lost a bunny in under 24 hours to bloat - it was that quick. And I know the minute signs to watch out for so took immediate action. Sadly it was still too late for Pod :cry:. Please don't leave it until the morning with your little bunny - she needs help now.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mackers. She needs help asap. Rabbits can go out like a light - you don't want that to happen x

Thank You all for the well wishes she is doing great today made a turn around very late last night early morning unfortunately vets were no help as they do not know anything about rabbits so i decided id do what i could at home to see if i could help so i syringe fed her and gave her water through the syringe along with stomach massages and i dont know how but by some miracle she is ok today back to her normal self eating and everything. It was very stressful but im glad shes ok any way just wanted to come on to let you all know that shes wonderful and to thank you :)

I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better - thank you for letting us know. Something like gripe water is a great item to keep in your bunny first aid kit as you can give it at the first sign of a gassy tummy before you head off to the vet. It can help to shift any pockets of gas, as can the tummy rubs you gave. Hope she goes from strength to strength.

Thank You all for the well wishes she is doing great today made a turn around very late last night early morning unfortunately vets were no help as they do not know anything about rabbits so i decided id do what i could at home to see if i could help so i syringe fed her and gave her water through the syringe along with stomach massages and i dont know how but by some miracle she is ok today back to her normal self eating and everything. It was very stressful but im glad shes ok any way just wanted to come on to let you all know that shes wonderful and to thank you :)

:thumb: Thank you for taking the time to update with such good news :wave:

Back