• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your feeding routines

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi, just wondering what different feeding routines everyone has.
Bunbuns gets fresh hair twice a day, mornings and then fresh for the night.
She also gets greens in the morning, usually kale and fennel then another different green, some days watercress, some green beans, broccoli, celery... those I give her usually in three chunks between 9am and 11am. if I give her all, she scoffs it down in one sitting, which no doubt most buns do... I think.
she also gets some herbs in the evening, usually two or three freshly cut ones.
I also give her a small amount of pellets each day, but those I feed her like a treat throughout the day as she will again eat the lot if I give her her full amount a day. I hide them around her run, stuff them in hay filled toilet rolls, or other "toys", as well as just letting her pick them out my hands.
She also always has a hay cookie which she just loves playing with and throwing around.
just wonder, how most of you generally feed your buns, would it be better for her to have all her greens at the same time for example, or her pellets etc, or is it good to have it spread out a bit more. she seems very happy with that routine but since there will, hopefully, soon be another bun with her, I am looking at overall changes that may benefit both in the long run.

Awhile back, with their pellets, I just gave them a handful or so of pellets in the morning but these days I break it up throughout the day because it works better with my buns. And they like their hay refreshed very frequently so I only ever give them 1-2 handfuls of hay at a time and top it up whenever they look like they need some more, unless I know I'll be gone for hours. So right now my feeding routine is:

Morning: A handful of hay, approx 10 mins later a very small amount of pellets
Noon: Some forage
Night: I make sure they have enough hay before I go to bed and I again sprinkle either pellets or oats over their hay
Throughout the day: A handful of hay every few hours, pellets and oats sprinkled over the hay every so often

re spreading out the greens/pellets - I've learned that what works for one bun doesn't for another so I'd just keep doing what you're doing if it's working well :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that. she does seem happy with it and the vet is happy with her health etc, so yeah will keep it spread out over the day as I have done, and just see how the new bun is. I think she likes the fact she gets some things throughout the day. oh and by the way, I too give her handfuls of fresh hay throughout the day and just take all old hay out morning and night. so thanks for that, really good to see that spreading it out is a good thing really, I felt it was, just wanted to be sure

5.30am - Pellets then Veg / Herbs
7pm - Veg / Herbs / Forage
9pm - Pellets

Fresh hay in the morning and night

Snacks of dried Dandelion, Clover, Plantain just whenever they are staring at me too much

Morning hay grass and forage (picked the day before)

Evening hay and pellets

If I am around I will give them fresh hay/grass during the day as well.

I like the idea of hiding the pellets, Bella will gobble them up pretty quickly when she sees them in her bowl.

Mine get hay in the mornings and then hay and pellets in the evening.
Weekends they get their treats of dried dandelion.
We did introduce greens to Bella and I was amazed how quickly she could get through parsley, it was gone in seconds so she must love it. I might try hiding this in card tubes and things too.
We haven't bought any greens for a while but Alfie is now also old enough for them so can get some more without them going off too quickly.

Herbs or cabbage for breakfast, fresh hay topped up morning & evening (they eat loads but never run out), they have a lovely variety in the weather is nice enough to free range in the garden, failing that I'll forage for them. They usually have bowl of readigrass in the evening. They get a tiny square of pear or carrot a couple of times a week. They do share a little of our veg (cabbage family, herbs (all), rocket, cauli stalks, celery) esp when the weather is rubbish to forage or I'm too busy or too lazy (pyjama day :D). At bedtime they have 8g of excel. They love all their tucker, greedy bunnies:love:

Back