• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulation nightmare, a little help if I may?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
So I went into B&Q yesterday to buy the insulation for the shed but I couldn't find what I was hoping for, turns out I have no idea what I'm really looking for! I came away empty handed as I was totally overwhelmed :(

I'm just wondering if someone can post a link for the kind of thing I'm looking for/what they would recommend?
Preferably from a shop like Homebase or Wickes etc so I can go and pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks in advance :)

I used plywood for my shed. I put some polysterene panels behind it in places but it was very messy to cut so didnt put it all round.

I used quite thick ply (have a look and get some that looks strong, not all bendy).

Best of luck.

I used plywood for my shed. I put some polysterene panels behind it in places but it was very messy to cut so didnt put it all round.

I used quite thick ply (have a look and get some that looks strong, not all bendy).

Best of luck.

Thank you :)
I already have the plywood just looking for what goes between it! I've seen the polystyrene panels, foil, something similar to loft insulation which I assume wouldn't be suitable, there is just so many options!!

Also, I plan to insulate all the wall but not the door and there will be a car flap, no windows. Do you think I will need a vent? I don't want it getting all damp in their that won't be good for their health :(

Hi there, I've used the foil therma wrap insulation at the wood cladded end of the aviary and on the hutch, seemed to work well and very easy to staple into place. I've not used any polystyrene though. I would fit a vent or drill some holes to vent if there's no window :thumb:

Just to add, this was allowing for the air gap too, even though it's at the end of an aviary.

Sorry not overly helpful, I'm just searching through previous posts :)

Also, I plan to insulate all the wall but not the door and there will be a car flap, no windows. Do you think I will need a vent? I don't want it getting all damp in their that won't be good for their health :(

I would drill holes in on all four walls high up as near the roof as you can. Plenty of holes. I found that my large shed got damp even with windows. I drilled loads of holes and made an extra (mesh) window just to be sure!

I agree that the loft insulation wouldnt be a good plan. I would go with the silver stuff.

Will it still get damp as its a kennel rather than a shed, so there will be some air circulation? Just wondered . . .

Ok, a plan has been made so than you all for the replies :)
Hubby is taking me to Wickes this afternoon and we're going for polystyrene sheets.

I'm still a bit confused about the ventilation though how big should the holes be and where would be best to drill them? Any pictures would be great :)

Back