• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think about this bunny cage?

I don't think it is really big enough if your bunny is going to be locked in at all. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but that's nowhere near big enough if she's going to be shut in, she needs a minimum of 6 ft by 4 ft
I think people have also had problems with buns getting legs caught in the bars of those. Could you maybe have one room she can stay in when you're not home?

The cage is just under 4x2 ft which isn't really large enough to be shut in for any amount of time, but the height is good at 2ft so it's not unusable.
A rabbit should have constant access to an area of at least 48sq ft so you could attach it to a pen, or use it as a base if you rabbit-proof a whole room.

On an aside, have you thought about getting bunny a friend?

.Cages of this nature tend to make rabbits aggressive due to the lack of somewhere to hide in it and feel safe. Also there is nowhere to dodge from humans so they resort to attacking. A hutch is better in that it more enclosed and the rabbit feels safer. Or what about an enclosure, made by a puppy pen which gives you more space in which to put a tunnel or a hidey box?

tonibun makes a very good point. You could aways cover the cage with a blanket/sheet but it might not be a bad idea to get an outdoor hutch. You could always paint it to match your room and they tend to come in larger sizes.

Agree with others that it is far too small unfortunately. The size of the rabbit is irrelevant as they still need just as much space to run around. Also, even with 6 hours out of the cage a day that is still 18 hours inside it. I wouldn't get it at all but either rabbit proof a room or create a setup using puppy panels or c&c cages

She isn't an elephant guys! She is a small rabbit, Much smaller than the 'standard' size bunny.. Now this cage is xl and the hideaway that comes with it will be removed and replaced with another.. I don't see a problem with it, call me a bad owner, but no.. i'm not.. I can even explain what im gonna do when i get the cage,, she will get PLENTLY of floor space.. and outdoor exercise.. chill

So you asked and people told you and now you won't listen and you are being rude with 'doll' and 'chill'. I'm not sure how that can be productive for you. There are lots of good people on RU - if they tell you something you can trust what they say.

I agree that this is too small for any bunny to be locked in for an amount of hours.

The cage may be listed as XL, but this is a marketing ploy that gets these cages sold.

The only way I would use that cage is if it was left open 100% of the time and had access for bunny to get in and out as she pleased.

No one said you were a bad pet owner, but we do feel that a bad decision would be made with this cage. And Doll.....no one needs to chill, we are all only giving opinions and advice.

She isn't an elephant guys! She is a small rabbit, Much smaller than the 'standard' size bunny.. Now this cage is xl and the hideaway that comes with it will be removed and replaced with another.. I don't see a problem with it, call me a bad owner, but no.. i'm not.. I can even explain what im gonna do when i get the cage,, she will get PLENTLY of floor space.. and outdoor exercise.. chill

Unfortunately, as Kermit has said it's a marketing ploy playing on people's assumptions that rabbits can live in a small hutch. If you have a look HERE you can see that rabbits need 44 sq ft. They are active at dawn and dusk so to provide her with the space she needs at the time she needs it'll be awkward for you as you'll be getting up early and staying up late. Mine start getting active at 5-6am til about 9-10 and than again between about 7-11 pm.

I bet for the price of that cage you could easily do some rabbit proofing, which you'd have to do anyway, or get some puppy panels. We're not attacking you, though I get that it might feel a bit like that, but what's the point throwing money on something unsuitable?

I've seen those cages for sale, they're expensive, you could easily make a C&C cage or a puppy playpen instead. No sense buying a cage that isn't big enough, it's just awaste of money unless you want to use it as a base.

Take a look at these links. They're cage picture threads - hundreds of pictures of great indoor accommodation that Americans and Canadians set up for their rabbits. :)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=78595
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=73877
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=64844
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?p=1056866#post1056866

You asked for opinions, people have given them.

The sad fact is a lot of people don't realise how much room rabbits need. Please, take a look at the links provided, do a little research on animal welfare sites (RSPCA, RWAF, etc) before making a decision. I had a similar view to you when I got my first housing; it looked massive, my rabbits were netherland dwarf crosses, I thought it was fine. A few months in and I realised what a huge waste of money it was and upgraded. Only to do the same again about a year later!

Last edited:
I, too, had cages when I began... one cage, two cages, two cages and a puppy pen, another puppy pen - now I think I have four or five puppy pens (not all in use all the time, the set ups change) and use carriers as hides. my bunnies like tunnels and will often doze in there rather than anywhere else.

We all have rabbit welfare paramount in our minds here, and are sharing our thoughts with you. IMO it is too small, and for you and your bunny to enjoy life to the full......please consider finding/ building something bigger. Let your imagination go wild and maybe build a fantastic 'one off' set up for your bunny.

Please try and appreciate that we are here to offer help and support .....for the best of everyone and everything concerned.

Ideas.....we have loads to share.

I'm purchasing this bunny cage this week sometime, do you have it? If so what do you think/like about it! If not, still post your opinion! :)
Keep in mind my rabbit is almost the same size as a dwarf, just a tad bit bigger! She is allowed to be roaming my home for about 5-6 hours maybe even more a day.. This cage is also an XL.

http://img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/50/hash/3...ld-X-Large-Deluxe-Small-Animal-Cage-61859.jpg

I would really recommend listening to those who have given advice. I am a relatively new bunny owner but i'm really glad I found this forum and read the various threads including those about bunny housing. It saved me lots of money as it's a lot cheaper to rabbit proof rooms than to buy those expensive cages that really aren't suitable for rabbits! I know it can seem very overwhelming thinking about rabbit proofing a room or having to try and sort out a puppy pen set up but it's so worth it in the long run as you'll have a very happy and loving rabbit who will be a joy to watch and be with :) There are some really good ideas in the 'Indoor Housing' sticky, it might be good to have a look there for some inspiration?

Back