• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need some advice on an unusual case of GI stasis

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So my bun Minnie has a mild GI stasis at 3 am. I gave her 0.32 ml of metacam, and syringe feed her w/ 6 cc of water every 1/2 hr.

By 5:30 am, I smash a pure bromelian 415 mg tablet into powder, and mix it w/ 6 cc of organic baby corn. But turns out that's not necessary, as she starts to nibble some hay and some carrot leaves on her own about 5:32 am.

Now, in all the GI stasis that I have seen, that's the end of it because the bun is eating on her own. Then I notice by 7:30 am, she back in another GI stasis. It's still a mild GI stasis, there is no bloat, but she has the same symptom as the 1st GI stasis, i.e., her head is shaking up and down, so she's most like in stress / pain.

It's fur shedding season, so I have dry comb and remove as much fur as possible on both buns. It's possible that they still lick the other fur's off, or she's chewing on the carpet of the play tunnel. The carpet in the house is pure Natural Carpet, (wool), but the 2 play tunnel is still the nylon carpet.

The baby corn expiration date is Feb. 2016, and it was sealed until I opened it at 5:30 am. The pure bromelian (that was meant for human) has an expiration date of May 2015, so it should still be fine.

If so, then what's causing the 2nd GI stasis? The only thing I can guess is that she pass thru whatever is bothering her by her poos , but there is still some more, and now on the 2nd round of passing thru whatever is bothering her. If not, can anyone guess at what's causing the 2nd GI stasis?

I have no idea but have never given Doughnut baby corn or bromelian, I don't even know what that is.

Can't you go to the vets and so they can give some pain relief and gut stimulant such as metaclop.

How do you know for certain that it is Gut Stasis ? 'Not eating' is not automatically indicative of gut stasis, although if anorexia continues gut stasis will follow

You have not mentioned anything about poo output in the hours preceding the onset of anorexia ?

You have not mentioned if there are any gut sounds (assuming you have a stethoscope)

If her respiratory rate is raised (you say her head is 'shaking up and down') that is indicative of pain and/or a primary respiratory tract problem

The craving fibre (chewing cardboard/carpet etc) points toward a lack of motility in her cecum. As does the sporadic nature of symptoms

So really without a comprehensive examination it is not possible to say exactly what is going on. I would get the Vet to examine her as problems in the cecum department can become very problematic if not addressed promptly

Sending get well vibes for her xx

So my bun Minnie has a mild GI stasis at 3 am. I gave her 0.32 ml of metacam, and syringe feed her w/ 6 cc of water every 1/2 hr.

By 5:30 am, I smash a pure bromelian 415 mg tablet into powder, and mix it w/ 6 cc of organic baby corn. But turns out that's not necessary, as she starts to nibble some hay and some carrot leaves on her own about 5:32 am.

Now, in all the GI stasis that I have seen, that's the end of it because the bun is eating on her own. Then I notice by 7:30 am, she back in another GI stasis. It's still a mild GI stasis, there is no bloat, but she has the same symptom as the 1st GI stasis, i.e., her head is shaking up and down, so she's most like in stress / pain.

It's fur shedding season, so I have dry comb and remove as much fur as possible on both buns. It's possible that they still lick the other fur's off, or she's chewing on the carpet of the play tunnel. The carpet in the house is pure Natural Carpet, (wool), but the 2 play tunnel is still the nylon carpet.

The baby corn expiration date is Feb. 2016, and it was sealed until I opened it at 5:30 am. The pure bromelian (that was meant for human) has an expiration date of May 2015, so it should still be fine.

If so, then what's causing the 2nd GI stasis? The only thing I can guess is that she pass thru whatever is bothering her by her poos , but there is still some more, and now on the 2nd round of passing thru whatever is bothering her. If not, can anyone guess at what's causing the 2nd GI stasis?

It may be a good idea to take her to a vet to get some gut motility drugs, as it seems to have happened twice in a short period. I am not sure what you mean by baby corn or bromeliad - were these advised by your vet as a home remedy?

She really needs to be eating hay/fibre if she's to maintain a good digestion - if she isn't, then I would seek assistance sooner rather than later.

Good luck with her xx

so in the end, turns out it's a mild GI stasis after all. All the vet did is to inject some NaCl water inside her. I could have done that easily, as I have the micro set and a stand by seal bag of water.

They did get some medicine, but she doesn't need it.

At the time, it seems quite serious, as she's shaking. So I took her to the vet.

They have been shedding fur since Jan., and I have dry comb them quite regularly. But the weather is cold lately, so I didn't take them outside to dry comb them.

My home is installed by Nature Carpet, so they don't chew on the carpet, but the rabbit tunnel is still the old nylon carpet, and they did chew on it. So I finished off cutting out the nylon carpet tunnel piece that they chew, and replace them w/ the cut out of the nature carpet. I am going to replace the carpet tunnel to the nature carpet this summer.

thank you everyone for helping out

so in the end, turns out it's a mild GI stasis after all. All the vet did is to inject some NaCl water inside her. I could have done that easily, as I have the micro set and a stand by seal bag of water.

They did get some medicine, but she doesn't need it.

At the time, it seems quite serious, as she's shaking. So I took her to the vet.

They have been shedding fur since Jan., and I have dry comb them quite regularly. But the weather is cold lately, so I didn't take them outside to dry comb them.

My home is installed by Nature Carpet, so they don't chew on the carpet, but the rabbit tunnel is still the old nylon carpet, and they did chew on it. So I finished off cutting out the nylon carpet tunnel piece that they chew, and replace them w/ the cut out of the nature carpet. I am going to replace the carpet tunnel to the nature carpet this summer.

thank you everyone for helping out

Thanks for posting an update.

I hope all continues to go well for her

Back