• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clicky sound coming from Phoebs' Ear?

camerajuan

Warren Scout
Hi, been a while since I've been on here - Letting Season!

So anyway, last night Pheobs was being his usual cuddly self and when I stroked the underside of his right ear in a certain way, I heard a clicking sound that is almost identical to the noise when a human gets water in their ear and wiggles their finger.

Obviously, as an indoor rabbit, he doesn't get wet enough for that. Any thoughts?

So anyway, last night Pheobs was being his usual cuddly self and when I stroked the underside of his right ear in a certain way, I heard a clicking sound that is almost identical to the noise when a human gets water in their ear and wiggles their finger.

Obviously, as an indoor rabbit, he doesn't get wet enough for that. Any thoughts?

That is a classic sign of an ear infection, especially if she is a Lop. It may just be a build up of wax/gunk, but it definitely merits at Vet check

Good luck

That is a classic sign of an ear infection, especially if she is a Lop. It may just be a build up of wax/gunk, but it definitely merits at Vet check

Good luck

Easy fix or pricey? No more pay for 3 weeks so gotta budget where I can.

It wasn't happening this morning but I'll check if it does when I'm at the Vets for the nail clipping tomorrow. See what they say.

Thanks!

If Pheobs doesn't seem in obvious pain/distress, I would say it's a wax build up inside the ear.

A vet can easily prescribe drops, whether it's just wax, or if there's any sign of infection

Easy fix or pricey? No more pay for 3 weeks so gotta budget where I can.

It wasn't happening this morning but I'll check if it does when I'm at the Vets for the nail clipping tomorrow. See what they say.

Thanks!

Depends on the exact nature of the problem. If there is evidence of infection then antibiotic/antifungal/anti-inflammatory ear drops may be prescribed and possibly a systemic antibiotic too. If the ear(s) are just very full of wax then a simple ear cleaner can be used. The Vet should show you exactly how to use it safely.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The clicking has gone as of this morning so Ill keep tabs on it & let the vet know if it comes back.

Back