• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried Corn On The Cob - A Little Concerned

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
Hi Bunny lovers,

I am just a wee bit concerned today. A very well meaning friend of mine yesterday gave my 3 buns 3 of the dried corn on cob sticks that you can get in pet shops. Corn is not something I give my buns. I was out most of the day and they ate all but one cob between them and today they are very quiet. They don't appear to be ill but they are subdued. They always come running out to greet me but I did not have that this morning.

They are not eating their hay and did not finish their dinner (fibafirst) from last night. They have also ignored their breakfast this morning.

I phoned my vets practice and they said to just keep an eye on them as they are likely to be okay but need time to digest their indulgence. Should I be more concerned. What should I be looking out for.

Sounds like a trip to the vets is in order as from what you are saying about them not eating or behaving like their normal selves it could be stasis.

Can you tell if they've been to the loo at all? Also when you say subdued are they sitting hunched and not willing to move very far even if you "persuade" them?

The danger with the dried corn is that it can cause a blockage, which can be very serious. The amount they have had would really concern me.

The warning signs of a blockage are the same as GI stasis, because that is what a blockage causes. The main signs are not eating and signs of pain, and they may also become bloated. Signs of pain are quiet behaviour, tooth grinding, not eating, tummy pressing, sitting hunched etc. Rabbits try very hard to disguise pain so often it can be hard to spot (signs of weakness in the wild will get a rabbit targeted as prey).

They will need lots of fibre (hay) and lots of water to push it through, don't feed any unhealthy or sugary foods. They mustn't be given any gut stimulants or be syringe-fed until a vet has felt their tummy or done X-rays and confirmed they don't have a full blockage.

If they refuse to eat, take them to the vet straight away. Ideally with the behaviour they've been showing id want them examined anyway as it sounds like they are in a GI slowdown. If it turns out the corn has caused a partial blockage, this can often be treated with fluid therapy, gut stimulants and high-fibre recovery food. But if it's a full blockage or a partial blockage if left untreated and gets bigger, it can mean surgery.

Lots of bunnies manage to pay through things like this on their own by eating lots of hay and drinking lots of water, but keep a very close eye on them and if I were you I'd take them for an examination at the vets, as if there is a blockage or gut slowdown it's much easier to treat if caught early.

I personally would take them to the vets on the basis of them not eating since last night. Who did you speak to at your vets practice? If it was just a receptionist I'd ignore everything they say - they are not medically trained. If they were my rabbits who hadn't eaten since last night I would take them to the vets and explain that - not eating in rabbits is much more severe than other animals as their digestive systems are designed to tick over constantly, and corn is a known problem in rabbits. It's not toxic or anything but it can cause blockages, bloat and just general discomfort. I'd want my vet to check all 3 over fully to ascertain how their digestive system is currently working to see if they can find any blockage, slowdown or gas etc and then treat as appropriate (a bare minimum of painkillers, and gut stimulant(s) and syringe feeding if deemed necessary).

Dried corn will swell in their tummies or gut, just like dessicated coconut does in birds :S I'd get them to the vet too :(

Thank you very much for your responses. They are in their run now and I have seen them running about and grooming eachother. They are eating their fibafirst now too and They have been drinking water. I also notice a couple of loose caecals...difficult because I was due to clean their hutch today which if littered with poop so difficult to assess.

Will keep monitoring.

Which vet do you use? Nine Lives are good for checking for stasis etc (over in Redbourn). Emily, their bestest rabbit vet, was on her holidays but may be back now if they need to go in.

Which vet do you use? Nine Lives are good for checking for stasis etc (over in Redbourn). Emily, their bestest rabbit vet, was on her holidays but may be back now if they need to go in.

They seem to be absolutely fine now. I have spent the last hour with them cleaning their hutch and run and they have been busily grooming and I saw a binkie or two. They have eaten more fibs first since my last post and have tucked into some ready grass and more water.

My 3 don't tend to be stasis prone but they were certainly not themselves this morning. Thank you all again x

Chuck out the corn and make sure they have plenty of hay over the next couple of days! If they stop eating or seem lethargic, hunched or tooth grinding in pain get them to vet asap

Glad they are feeling better now, it sounds like they managed to pass most of it. Keep a close eye on what is going in and out for a week or so and take them to the vet if they show signs of a slow gut. When you do next go, ask the vet to palpate them to make sure no blockage remains - partial blockages can sit undetected for a long time and can then get larger with no warning.

Just to update you following all your helpful and gratefully received responses...my babies are all good and back to normal. Currently enjoying some indoor bunny love x

Back