• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A passing phase?

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi,

I've been on here before looking for advice on bonding but I'm still struggling.

My new Rabbit Ivy, who was spayed on 11th December, is very bitey. It doesn't seem malicious and its not all the time but she gets all excitable and starts nipping. When I'm playing with her I will draw my hand up into my sleeve and she goes mental boxing and chewing the empty sleeve. Then she can't calm down and starts nipping me so has to go on the floor. I think this is why she can't get along with my other rabbit. She gets excited, starts nipping and Olive takes it as aggression and a fight breaks out (poor Olive has a number of bald spots now!).

Is this a phase Ivy will grow out of? The rescue centre thought she might be a year old, I think she might be younger. Should I avoid bonding sessions until this has calmed down? Is there hope they will be friends at last?

She may still be hormonal, I think it takes about 6 weeks or so for hormones to subside, so normally it is suggested not to try bonding until at least 6 weeks post neuter. Does she have plenty of space and stimulation, toys etc available to her all the time? Is Olive a female bunny too? I'm assuming she is from her name. Is Olive spayed? It's not unheard of for 2 girls to be able to be bonded, but it would be the least recommended combination, so it could be that the bond won't work, and as a last resort you might need to try Olive with a neutered male. Maybe the rescue could help with bonding?

Yes Olive has been neutered, well over a year ago. I've bonded many female pairs and never had an issue like this before. I think getting yet more rabbits wouldn't be the best way forward? What if I can't bond ivy to a new rabbit? I'll end up with loads of rabbits being kept separate!

Ivy is now 8 weeks post spay, I suppose hormones are still a possibility. The rescue centre are a bit thrown by her behaviour too! I'm certainly not sending her back to be put to sleep!

Yes Olive has been neutered, well over a year ago. I've bonded many female pairs and never had an issue like this before. I think getting yet more rabbits wouldn't be the best way forward? What if I can't bond ivy to a new rabbit? I'll end up with loads of rabbits being kept separate!

Ivy is now 8 weeks post spay, I suppose hormones are still a possibility. The rescue centre are a bit thrown by her behaviour too! I'm certainly not sending her back to be put to sleep!

:shock: I am sure no one would suggest that you would want to send her back to be pts. Most rescues that I know of (including many on here) would not pts a rabbit that was returned to them.

Has she been checked over for any underlying health issues?

Unfortunately animals that can not be rehomed by the RSPCA are PTS. She had a full MOT before she was released for adoption, and to my experienced eye she's the very picture of health. I've never had such a young bun before, I always adopt when they are a year or two. I just though it might be a "teenage" phase? Exploring her boundaries and getting over excited?

Back