• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kale question

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me about what parts of kale you usually feed, how often and if the leaf portion looks a bit yellowed, is that part gone off?
I usually offer just bits of the leaves as a treat because the stalks look so tough and stringy. I also tend to toss out the yellowed parts for fear they are spoiled.
And has anyone here ever seen purple kale and is it okay to feed to bunnies?
I do realize this is a cruciferous veg that has a high oxalate content and shouldn't be given every day, but I also see that it can have a lovely effect on building a bunny's poos so it must also have a high fiber content.
Many thanks in advance! :wave:

I feed the whole kale stalk and leaves, removing yellow parts if they look off (if the ones I get from the farm shop look a bit gunky brown around the yellow I discard that part of the leaf, but if they're just yellow from lack of light I feed it). Mine get purple kale too and love it just as much :)

Treat it just like cabbage. Red kale is fine for bunnies. I give mine the whole plants from the allotment. Just remove anything that is going brown. Mine won't eat any yellowing leaves so I take them off, but they won't do any harm.

Benjamin eats it all too, I buy the bags of kale from tesco, he has a handful every day though and it doesn't affect his tummy?;)

Thank you everyone :D
It's one of the nicest veg we get here, especially in winter as during transport in our temps, (either by the supermarket or in our own car), other greens tend to wilt quickly but kale holds up and isn't a bag of mush by the time I get it home. :?
Plus the buns do enjoy it but I have to be circumspect with it. It can give them gas periodically but I'm more worried about urine sludge (I'm guessing the calcium content is high like in carrot tops) and any messy cecals that might arise.
It must be pungent too because Mimzy (who is deaf and can't hear the bag rustling) will always know when I'm preparing some and he begins madly circling his habitat in anticipation searching for it. :lol:
Can't wait for spring when we can then switch to fresh grasses and dandelions but that's a ways off. :(

Back