• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

That ''Rabbity'' smell..

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the two foster boys Merry and Pippin would smell so ''rabbity'' :? Its not a dirty smell, just animal smell.

They aren't dirty, their bums look clean, but the spare room where they are staying has a strong smell of rabbit.

Anyone know why this would be or a way to reduce it? Milo and Finn don't smell at all! They just smell of hay and grass.

Is it just because they aren't neutered yet? Their temporary housing is kept clean and fresh too!

Could one of they have sprayed somewhere you haven't noticed yet? As intact males they're more likely to mark their territory with their scents.

Perhaps because they aren't neutered yet, because of this they may be spraying wee everywhere too!

Arthur had a unique smell to him when I first got him, he was neutered but I think he was marking his new territory by spraying! The smell went and then I introduced lilly and it came back :lol: it went again then I moved them downstairs and it came back! He was marking his territory! Poor lilly smelt strongly of boy for a little while! He was just reminding everyone that she was his! :lol:

I'd assume that the smell will go after they're neutered or once they've settled in to their new territory!

Definitely because they're unneutered, I think they smell absolutely vile before they're "done" but I do have a very strong sense of smell :lol:

Hopefully it will go away once they are neutered. I'm going to give their housing a good clean tonight and see if I've missed anything, I don't think I have though! :?

Thanks all, I thought that it was just because they were not neutered, I've never been able to smell rabbits so much!

Hopefully it will go away once they are neutered. I'm going to give their housing a good clean tonight and see if I've missed anything, I don't think I have though! :?

Thanks all, I thought that it was just because they were not neutered, I've never been able to smell rabbits so much!

Another thing to watch out for is if they start to spray you !! Nothing quite like standing in the queue at the supermarket check-out smelling of Eau de Buck :D

Another thing to watch out for is if they start to spray you !! Nothing quite like standing in the queue at the supermarket check-out smelling of Eau de Buck :D

Oh yes I'll bet its lovely.

I'm so paranoid about the smell. When I go into the enclosure on a morning to sort out Milo and Finn I'm not bothered at all or concerned about how I smell after, because they barely have a smell!

But with these two I feel like I smell strongly of them when I come out of the spare room, I'm really aware that I might be going to work smelling of them! I'm currently getting up at 5:30 every morning to have time to organised 4 rabbits and a conure before I go out at 6:50 for work! The pleasures of having pets I guess!

The other thing I've noticed is if they haven't been kept clean in their old home, they still smell as they did for a while. It can take a while for this smell to disappear.

Back