• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pro-fibre pellets

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser has a small portion of these for his supper last night. I think he first had them when he was unwell a few years ago, and serving them as an extra has become a habit. I'm not sure that he really needs them. His output is certainly not as fibrous as I would like to see, but he is also .... not exactly underweight, so I'm wondering if something also given to underweight buns is really the best thing to be giving him.

Any thoughts?

Hector has some each day. Two scoops (although he is, err, large!). He seems well on them and, in fact, when I nearly ran out last time and the portion was a bit less for a day, I could hear tummy sounds which spells trouble for him. So, yes, they are a permanent feature in his diet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use them when Xena was having tummy problems. I continued to give them for ages and one day I wondered why and stopped them to see how she went. She was absolutely fine and doesn't have any now.

Maybe stop them whilst you still have some left and see how he goes. :)

I feed them to Honey, just less than half a scoopful twice a day. I stopped them a few weeks ago, and during that time Honey stopped eating. It's very doubtful that the lack of Profibre pellets was the cause, but giving her a little something regularly through the day lets me know she is still eating. She has some fibre first too, and some of the similar things for digestion. Just tiny amounts though.

Perhaps you could just start by reducing the amount Spencer has to see if it makes a difference?

My understanding was that they help poorly buns absorb the nutrients from the other food sources. In my experience because the healthy buns have no problems in that department it hasn't adversely effected their weight as there isn't a high amount of protein or calories in it. Certainly when I've fed them to bonded pairs, 1 healthy, 1 not, I haven't seen any adverse affects on the healthy bun, only benefits to the poorly one.

Back