• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neuter - should I be doing anything else?

TD86

Alpha Buck
My boy was neutered yesterday and I kept him in the kitchen overnight to keep him warm etc.

I've put him back outside today once he was back to his usual self, he's eating, pooing drinking etc. as normal. I'm confused though as when I sent my OH to pick him up at 5.00pm yesterday and the vet nurse asked about bedding, particularly wood shavings which we don't use, she was glad and said that straw/hay was fine. The instructions that came from the piece of paper they issued though said not to use straw or hay as it could injure them?? I've put straw in his bedding area as it's so cold and left his living area just lined with newspaper along with his snugglesafe and bowl of straw in case he wants to get away from the straw.

Should I be doing anything else?? So worried in case I've done something wrong or missed something!!

Thanks

Hi :wave:

Hay would be softer than straw and as he needs it anyway for food it may be better just to use that. Has he got painkillers? It's really important he keeps eating and drinking and the painkillers they gave him for the op will have worn off now...

It's because hay/straw can irritate/stick to the wound, but to be honest I don't think you've got much choice in this weather. I would change it to hay and make sure it's soft hay, but there isn't a lot else you can do, as he needs a deep bed to keep warm.

I wouldn't let him sleep on hay or straw, that's what they advise at the vets I work at. I would shred newspaper and put hay in a rack or toilet roll for him to eat, it's about it poking in the wound, it's only for a few days :wave:

He'll be fine if he's inside and has a snugglesafe

The nurse where our girls were spayed said that hay is perfectly fine post spay, one of my girls practically lived in her hay tray for the first 36 hours after her spay with no problems at all!

My Vets don't say not to use hay now - they used to. I've never had a problem,. I didn't understand why you put straw in a bowl? Anyway, to reiterate what everyone else has said, hay is the one your bunny needs :)

My Vets don't say not to use hay now - they used to. I've never had a problem,. I didn't understand why you put straw in a bowl? Anyway, to reiterate what everyone else has said, hay is the one your bunny needs :)

Sorry, was tired when I posted, hay was in the bowl :D

I would recommend towels for bedding, that's what my vet suggested after my two male rabbits had the operation. As their bottom are very sensitive of everything and very easy to hurt themselves, so towels would be safer.

Back