• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Burring spurs - what sort of recovery time? marnie unwell

Bicky123

Young Bun
Hi all

Yesterday my girl Marnie had an op to burr a spike on her molar. She started eating hay about eight hours post op, so that was a relief, and some kale.
I first noticed she was off colour as she had stopped eating her nuggets - I only give my buns 1 egg cup a day so I knew something wasn't right!
Since the op she hasn't been interested in her nuggets yet - should I expect a good few days for her to get over the op? Or should I consult the vet re procedure not worked??

Thanks
X

Did Marnie come home with pain relief? Depending on how much she is eating of hay and kale etc, I wouldn't worry too much. Pellets are quite hard and crunchy, so if she's still a wee bit tender they're probably not very nice to eat! But if you don't think she's eating enough to keep her gut going, that's a whole other story.

Not sure about the eye - haven't experienced it myself before so can't help on that, sorry!

I wouldn't be too, too worried as she's eating hay and kale. I know when Nena has had dental work done she's varied in what she wants to eat afterwards as she's clearly been uncomfy in her mouth.

Is she on pain relief? The most common is metacam. I would expect her to be after an operation, and if she's a bit sore it may explain why she's not fancying her pellets.

Did the vet mention the eye when you collected her? I have no previous experience but I would think dental burring could cause some eye irritation due to the fact the face is so small, and to hold the mouth open they may have had to touch it a bit. However, I've never had a rabbit with spurs so I wouldn't like to say. Could you put a pic up? I'm sure somebody would be able to help a little bit more :)

Hi there

Thank you both for your responses.

I asked the vet about pain relief and they said she wouldn't require it... She seems okay in herself.

I would agree to think that the op itself would may have bruised her face / eye in the process as you say their faces are tiny. I've tried mushing up the pellets and she's not happy with that - maybe psychological?!

4a8aeee393437b0c3ffea264fc956f59.jpg

Here's her eye sorry it's fuzzy, she's not really my friend at the moment so it's taken at a small distance!

Bear in mind that whilst the burring is being done, a rabbit's mouth is wide open for a few minutes, which in turn can cause some pain and discomfort. I know from when I go to the......no not the vets, the dentist and have to have my mouth open for even 15 minutes, my jaw aches and there is discomfort for a short while.

Hopefully your bunny will improve over the next day or two. At this point I would not be overly concerned.

Just seen photo....her eye does look weepy, can you try and gently wipe it? If it does not improve, I would suggest a trip to the vets asap just to get her thoroughly checked out.

Last edited:
Hi there :wave: Was Marnie under GA when she had her op? I'm not sure if this helps, but when Scrappy had to go under GA for a tear duct flush and teeth filing it took her a couple of days to get back to normal (procedure was done on Monday afternoon and she wasn't "right" until the Wednesday evening). Like Marnie I think her mouth was quite sore after the dental work as she hardly ate any pellets. In the end I blended a bit of veg into a puree she could lick off a dish just to make sure she was getting some food down her. I hope Marnie is better soon!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Marnie is under the weather right now, but glad that she has had her molars burred down successfully!

I should give things till tomorrow to settle down and see what she likes to eat. At least she is eating hay and kale, which is more than a lot of buns would after such a procedure. I'm surprised your vet didn't give you any pain relief (Metacam), but he probably gave her a long acting painkiller at the time of the op.

As for the weepy eye - sometimes messing around with the back teeth will disturb the tooth roots, which terminate very close to the tear duct. So you may find that it will also settle down as her teeth become less sensitive.

I hope things continue to progress well - good luck xx

Hi there :wave: Was Marnie under GA when she had her op? I'm not sure if this helps, but when Scrappy had to go under GA for a tear duct flush and teeth filing it took her a couple of days to get back to normal (procedure was done on Monday afternoon and she wasn't "right" until the Wednesday evening). Like Marnie I think her mouth was quite sore after the dental work as she hardly ate any pellets. In the end I blended a bit of veg into a puree she could lick off a dish just to make sure she was getting some food down her. I hope Marnie is better soon!

Hi yes Marnie was under GA. Thanks, she seems a bit more lively this morning - this will be 2 days post op and she's not interested in nuggets again, but I think I will give it a few more days and keep an eye on her.

Hi Mighty Max

Thank you!
Yes she's eating ok but very much like before the op, just no pellets. I believe she had a shot of metacam after the op. I was given fibreplex to take home but it turned out I didn't really need it as she picked up quite soon and was onto her hay.
I'll have to see what happens with her eye, it doesn't seem much better this morning. The good news is that the vet doesn't think her spurs will recurr as her jaw is aligned etc, but suspects her previous diet before she was rescued to be less than adequate! So fingers crossed it will be OK in the future.
She's still not my friend though!!

Thanks all for comments - hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon

Hi Mighty Max

Thank you!
Yes she's eating ok but very much like before the op, just no pellets. I believe she had a shot of metacam after the op. I was given fibreplex to take home but it turned out I didn't really need it as she picked up quite soon and was onto her hay.
I'll have to see what happens with her eye, it doesn't seem much better this morning. The good news is that the vet doesn't think her spurs will recurr as her jaw is aligned etc, but suspects her previous diet before she was rescued to be less than adequate! So fingers crossed it will be OK in the future.
She's still not my friend though!!

Thanks all for comments - hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon

You're very welcome :)

I have a rabbit who had an extremely bad diet before he came to me, and had to have his molars burred down. TOUCH WOOD he is so much better eats hay and everything. I hope his spurs won't recur either.

I hope she begins to eat more as she realises she is hungry and there's delicious food around. Can you tempt her with some fresh herbs or small piece of apple and porridge oats?

Hmm sounds a similar case to marnie then. She's tempted by bits of carrot and she likes apple- I haven't ever tried porridge oats so I'll try a little bit of that. I guess at the moment it's hard food she's struggling with (but then she turned her nose up at mushed nuggets!!)

Hi all - I took Marnie to the vet and her teeth were checked and he said they were fine no redness etc. But she still won't accept nuggets!!! She likes mushed nuggets in the evening, but her old routine was morning nuggets, but she won't even eat mushed nuggets in the morning now...
So I have no idea what's up! Could she struggling with the fact it's isn't actually going to hurt any more? 😞

Hi all - I took Marnie to the vet and her teeth were checked and he said they were fine no redness etc. But she still won't accept nuggets!!! She likes mushed nuggets in the evening, but her old routine was morning nuggets, but she won't even eat mushed nuggets in the morning now...
So I have no idea what's up! Could she struggling with the fact it's isn't actually going to hurt any more? 

I would suggest at some point she have a skull X-ray to see what is going on there. There may be something no one has seen - long tooth roots, or even an abscess, which is causing her some pain on eating ....

Back