• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Secure hutch doors?

danih

Young Bun
Any good ideas for securing hutch doors?

The bolts on mine need replaced, I have tried attaching new replacements but they are fiddly and a nightmare to attach.

Hoping for an easy to attach, but secure alternative?

Any ideas?

Bolts really are the best and only solution, but some of the smaller ones are very fiddly yes. I would go for bigger bolts as they are easier to fit, and if you get one designed to have a padlock on it it'll be harder for any predator to get into. You can also add a carabiner clip or a padlock etc to make it harder for the predator too. You may need to attach an extra piece of wood but homebase etc will cut things to size for you rather than having to do it yourself, and then you can just screw that into place and screw the bolt on.

Brown-Brenton-Padlock-Bolt-152mm_500_3LF1I.jpg
These are the type I mean!

Got a pic of your hutch doors? How/where to position them can vary a bit with the style of door :)

I always use the padbolts as you see above, they are easy and secure, just need a little WD40 every now and then to keep them sliding nicely.

Screwfix do a wide range of them:
http://www.screwfix.com/c/security-...ts/cat840976#category=cat840976&page_size=100

Wilkinsons and TheRange usually sell one type cheap, but they only have the one type so you have to check if it fits. They can be quite a pain, sometimes the wood isn't big enough to fit both parts so you have to add extra wood to bolt it into.

Back