• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do plants/herbs need to be fed in moderation

Hi, I have another food related question!

I recently bought a bag of dandelion, one of marigold and one of the Excel country garden herbs from the Hay Experts. I've mixed some into her hay and have found that it has been very effective in getting Scrappy to eat even more hay. She's been enjoying them a lot! :) Can I feed this sort of thing quite liberally or do they need to be given in moderation (particularly concerned about potential tummy upsets or making her diet too rich so that she won't eat her caecals).

Thanks!

Dry forage like that you can be fairly liberal with, though watch dandelion as it as a diuretic (makes them wee) and also changes the wee to weird orangey/red colours (before you have a panic).

It shouldn't be too rich, but you can build up gradually if you are worried. The other thing is to slightly reduce pellets to balance but unless you are feeding a bag every day or two it shouldn't make much difference.

I've been using the excel herb bags.. country garden herbs & mountain meadow herbs to help my buns wean off their pellet dependence.. tis working a treat when I sprinkle them thru their hay.. more hay eating than ever..
and cos the herbs are tasty they are less bothered about the reduction in pellets / increase in hay nomming... has worked a treat for mine.
But I did introduce the herbs slowly over time and I do the daily poop / wee check in their litter trays to check for any changes in their 'output' . But mine enjoy them x

Like yours.. more hay eating than ever before.. what a dream come true :D

Last edited:
Back