• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi from a new bunny owner

Hi everyone :wave:

I've been a regular visitor to this forum and thought it was time I joined properly!

I adopted a three year old mini lop called Scrappy around the end of September. Sadly almost as soon as I got her, I noticed something wrong with one of her eyes. A trip to the vet established she had a nasty infection caused by a blocked tear duct. Poor Scrappy had to go through weeks of treatment. Baytril and septrin were unsuccessful in treating the infection so they did a tear duct flush under GA followed by two weeks of penicillin injections administered at home by me plus tiacil eye drops. However I am pleased to say the more intensive treatment seems to have worked and she was given the all clear last week :thumb: She is much better in herself now: running around like a mini tornado, playing in her dig box and exploring her new(ish) home. Plus, she is also eating loads of hay which is good as I now know just how important it is to keep her teeth worn down.

I found this forum an invaluable source of help and advice. I've never owned a rabbit before and did feel a bit overwhelmed at times in dealing with one who was so unwell. I found lots of good tips on giving her the antibiotics, injections and generally nursing a sick bunny. I also found it really useful to read about other people's experiences so I knew what to expect.

Amazingly, despite everything we have bonded really well. She jumps up and down the sofa to climb over me, gives me lots of licks, demands nose rubs and follows me around everywhere - even to the loo :lol:

Pics coming soon: just need to transfer from my phone and then upload here.

Sorry for the long introduction :oops:

:wave: Hi and welcome. Sounds like you were thrown in at the deep end straight away :D Glad you've both come through it ok. Scrappy sounds adorable. Looking forward to the pics :)

Hi thanks for the welcome:) It's definitely been a crash course in looking after rabbits!

A few pics of Scrappy below. Quite difficult getting good photos of her. She either runs off so she just ends up as a blur or she turns around so I have quite a few pictures of her bottom :lol:

Scrappy1_zpsb5d4633a.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Scrappy3_zpsedb0463f.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Scrappy4_zps578d3bfb.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Scrappy2_zps585da1cd.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh she's beautiful :love: I totally understand the blurred pics thing. How some on here get such beautiful bun poses I'll never know or master :lol:

Welcome :wave:. It sounds as though your bunny has well and truely fallen on her feet with such caring owners.

Oh she is gorgeous - and a very lucky bunny indeed to have such a caring owner who has not been scared off by the care she has needed so far.

:love:

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: glad Scrappy Is gorgeous, glad she is better :thumb:

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments and welcome. :) After she became ill I was actually more glad I'd adopted her. Her previous owner had originally planned to give her to pets at Home (might be wrong but I didn't think they did rehoming) and given her illness manifested itself so quickly I do sometimes wonder how long she would have waited for a new home or what her eventual fate would have been. :(

Definitely think someone should run a masterclass on how to take good bunny pics :lol:

:lol: Boots, my indoor bun is a lot more sedate so he's quite easy to photograph, but my other 2 are only still when there is food involved :lol:

Back