• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 rabbits MAJOR issue! please help urgent

We have a neutered male and unneutered female we are trying to bond. She was bought at 3 mths is now approx 4-5mths. He is 2-3 yrs old. Before when they met she had shown she wasnt keen by running away etc... However she seemed to calm down and we got better with the meetings till we decided to put them together for the night , like we did with our other 2 succesfully bonded pair. She however would squeal , originally we thought it was honkin but it seems she is squealing whenever he goes near her and is cooped up in corner. We have removed him as she was squealing even when we went to pick her up. Not like her. Is there any way we can make her not be so terrified of him and his presence? Please help. Such a shame as he is happy in her company just cant be same for her. I really dont want to give up with them either

If it was me, I would have her spayed before putting them together again. Unspayed, she could be very hormonal, and it will also make him more 'randy'. It's important to get her spayed for health reasons too, to avoid the common uterine cancers that female rabbits get.

At 4-5 months she is probably about old enough to be spayed. If you speak to your vet you will be able to see whether they will be happy to spay her now, or wait another few weeks. Once she is spayed, she will need 4-6 weeks recovery time, then you could try introducing them again on neutral territory.

Good luck :)

I'd definitely look at getting her spayed first! Wait a wee while longer for stray hormones and wounds to settle then go for it!! Will make binding a lot easier in the long run

All the best
fee x

Back