• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's safe for rabbits to eat? Types of forage?

lala2901

Young Bun
Hey guys,
I just wanted some help on what fresh fruits, vegetables and foraging things i can feed my buns?

So far they love-
Parsnips
Carrot
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Parsley
Muesli

What else is there i can feed them?!

Im so worried about whats safe and what's not so i thought you guys would be best to ask! :D

We don't tend to feed fruit as it is hiigh in sugars :) There is a list somewhere of safe foods. Good advice is if in doubt, leave it out.:)

Parsnips and carrots are also high in sugar. A little bit is okay but not too much, sugary food is not recommended for buns. Muesli is not recommended for buns either. They can eat sage, basil, mint, coriander and many herbs. Mine gets a teaspoon of fruit a day and 1 thin slice of carrot, alongside fresh herbs, greens and forage, unlimited Timothy and Meadow hays, a small handful of Readigrass and a small eggcups worth of Science Select and Fibafirst daily. Bedtime treat is a Fenugreek or Wilko crunchie snack. Weekends she gets an extra sprinkle of Excel Mountain or Country herbs and Dandelieon/Oat salad in her haybox.
http://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/safe-foods-for-rabbits
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

My 2 large buns get 1 carrot stick and one baby sweetcorn each per day, about 6 cubes of swede, a handful of curly kale or spring greens, either flat leaf or normal parsley and a sprig of mint and a stick of celery very finely chopped and when I can I get them peas in a pod. I split it up over two feedings, one as I'm leaving for work and the other at bedtime.

Rwaf have a list of rabbit safe fruit and veg and Parsnipbun on here has also written a book on foraging for rabbits which is very good. My rabbits all love forage more than most veg.

Back