• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to Get Blood for Glucose Meter???

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We have a glucose meter to try and assess how poorly a non eating rabbit is -

we have not had to use it since getting it, but need to use it now - however I am failing to get blood from the bun.

Where (and how) do you get the blood from?

I have tried the ear vein but really very very very little came out (not enough at all despite ears being warm now).

Last edited:
Did you try pressing the vein? I'm not 100% sure what the vets are doing but have explained to me that they put pressure on the vein. I think this is to make the vein more visible but may be so that there will be a pressure for some blood to seep out when the needle goes in.

Sorry if I've explained something you are already doing, I've never actually managed to do it but seen it done on ear veins many, many times.

I used to use Autumn's ear vein. Press it to make it larger and then slip the needle in. Took a bit of practice but after 2-3 tries I was able to get it.

after thought- I wonder if, by the time a blood glucose is needed, bun is already shutting down and in the early stages of shock, hence why the veins are not easy to find/get and don't bleed much?

after thought- I wonder if, by the time a blood glucose is needed, bun is already shutting down and in the early stages of shock, hence why the veins are not easy to find/get and don't bleed much?

Veins will be hard to access in a very ill Rabbit. Using the Lateral saphenous vein may be more successful, but not sure if you have done this before. It's definitely a two person job.

Can't say I've done it (other than by accident - over cutting, I mean!), but it is a way of getting blood.

This wasn't advice, only a thought!! *crawls into hole*

At the RWAF conference this year the vet nurse said when a rabbit is admitted they do take it from the ear vain however it is tricky to do so if doing it at home to cut the quick from the toe nail

At the RWAF conference this year the vet nurse said when a rabbit is admitted they do take it from the ear vain however it is tricky to do so if doing it at home to cut the quick from the toe nail

Crikey, it's still not something I would do :shock:

Well, as I said, it's common enough of a practice with guinea pigs, as I understand it. I've not met a vet yet who was successful at extracting blood from any of mine with a needle.

But no, I don't fancy doing it!

Well, as I said, it's common enough of a practice with guinea pigs, as I understand it. I've not met a vet yet who was successful at extracting blood from any of mine with a needle.

But no, I don't fancy doing it!

No way would I do it !!The amount of pain it would cause :cry: I'd be at the Vets if my Rabbit were that sick and his/her ear vein was inaccessible. Heck, I'd be at the Vet regardless I think !!

Back