• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy Rabbit Syndrome - Research Project

Might be worth PMing gillmanning

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?10057-gillmanning

Her Super Simba had FRS and made a full recovery. She should be able to obtain details of his exact treatment :) I am not sure if Gill comes on here much but she may receive email alerts about PMs

I thought straight away about Super Simba but as his case is historical I didn't know if the relevant information would be available,
I will contact later, thanks (I'm supposed to be working, got up at 5am to do some urgent work but finding RU more interesting ....:oops:)

I looked after a rabbit recovering from FRS for a couple of weeks in August (he was found floppy a couple of days before his owners were going on 2 weeks holiday!) He was so 'normal' it's hard to believe what state he was in only a week before he came to stay with me.

I thought straight away about Super Simba but as his case is historical I didn't know if the relevant information would be available,
I will contact later, thanks (I'm supposed to be working, got up at 5am to do some urgent work but finding RU more interesting ....:oops:)

I looked after a rabbit recovering from FRS for a couple of weeks in August (he was found floppy a couple of days before his owners were going on 2 weeks holiday!) He was so 'normal' it's hard to believe what state he was in only a week before he came to stay with me.

He was treated by C so there will be some clinical details about him that Gill might agree to obtain. Hope the Bunny you cared for is now fit and well. It is quite terrifying to see a Rabbit with FRS. At one point Simba could only move his mouth to eat. I fed him a bit of Banana and he managed a 'Banana Bum Twitch'. Everyone in the room cried !!

He was treated by C so there will be some clinical details about him that Gill might agree to obtain. Hope the Bunny you cared for is now fit and well. It is quite terrifying to see a Rabbit with FRS. At one point Simba could only move his mouth to eat. I fed him a bit of Banana and he managed a 'Banana Bum Twitch'. Everyone in the room cried !!

:love::love:

I keep meaning to enquire of the bunny I cared for ('Lightning'). His life had parallels with Simba as he had a huge health challenge the year before (Simba's being pretty much immediately prior to the FRS). Lightning was a stray who took an army to round up (how he got his name!!) Exactly a year before the FRS he has a very nasty wound/abscess that required extensive treatment (several weeks inpatient stay), again to see him you'd never know he's been through all that. It did make me wonder if previous huge challenges to their wellbeing might be a contributing factor. I wish I had the brains to study this stuff and piece together the information as I find it fascinating.

Last edited:
My bridge bunny Roger had FRS and made a full recovery. It was the only time I have ever got to my vets, and he took one look at Roger, said he had FRS, and took him straight through to the hospital, and then came and discussed with me later when Roger was settled.

He did make.a full recovery but had previously had a stroke and was severely disabled.

Just bumping this up in case anybody can contribute.

Hardly anybody has contributed to this appeal so far and data is desperately needed for this research.

Erin donated some blood yesterday so that a healthy rabbits' antibodies were available to compare. ... but information is needed from rabbits with FRS.

Just bumping this up in case anybody can contribute.

Hardly anybody has contributed to this appeal so far and data is desperately needed for this research.

Erin donated some blood yesterday so that a healthy rabbits' antibodies were available to compare. ... but information is needed from rabbits with FRS.

Sadly Simba has passed away now :cry: I dont know if anyone submitted details about his previous episode of 'FRS' and I am not sure that Gill would feel able to do so now as she was obviously devastated about Simba's passing.

Sadly Simba has passed away now :cry: I dont know if anyone submitted details about his previous episode of 'FRS' and I am not sure that Gill would feel able to do so now as she was obviously devastated about Simba's passing.

:cry::cry: I don't know either, she didn't respond to the PM but I'm guess the first time she saw it was when she came on RU to tell of his sad passing.

Would it be worth Frances flagging it up on her Facebook?

Good thinking, then everyone can share on in groups/pages etc. I'll see if I can remember to prompt the idea.

Last edited:
I have flagged it up to the Vets at TVS, I expect they have already seen it though x

Ah, yes, of course, your vet has first hand experience with this, hasn't she? I hope she's able to contribute in some way, I'm sure she would want to, if she can.

Back