• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hock?

Mazzy

Young Bun
Help please,
Buck has a patch of exposed skin on his paw which I can only assume is a sore hock. It wasn't there 2/3 days ago but I noticed it last night. He is moving absolutely fine on it with lots of binkys last night and it was only when he flopped after the mad binky dash that I noticed. We have no idea of his age so not sure if it is age or weight related, I think Buck is over weight but the nurse at the vets last time we took him said he was fine at 3.8kg ( he's crossed with a giant bunny)

He lives in the living room with tile, carpet and vet bed for walking on but spends the largest part of his time on the vet bed and his claws are still quite short.
Should I take him to the vets or should I see how he goes on? Was planning to get some dermagel as I read it is good for healing hocks.

imagejpg1_zps9e5866d0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I can't comment on whether to make an appointment with your vet for this. If you have some Sudocream around the house, you could dab on some of that until you get the Dermagel however. It's what we were advised to do daily and does help.

My rabbit has that - we mentioned it to the vets when we took him, but didn't take him just for that. She just said to apply Sudocrem and it cleared up (although he's on carpet at the moment, so it's come back). I wouldn't, personally, take him unless it gets worse or it seems to bother him.

Whilst the hock is not too bad at the moment it is an indication that there may be a problem with how he is weight baring on his back feet. This often occurs when the surface the Rabbit spends most time on is either lino/tiles/wood flooring etc. Carpet can also cause problems as it is very abrasive. Also, have you made sure that his toenails are short.?If they become too long this effects the positioning of the foot on the floor forcing the Rabbit to take weight too far back on the plantar region leading to fur loss and hyperkeratosis (thickening of the outer layer of the skin)

As he is a large breed Rabbit this too adds to the risk factor of sore hocks developing.

Personally at this stage I would not start applying creams etc, certainly not every day as that can actually make things worse by flattening the remaining protective fur on the foot. I'd then look at what could be done to change the type of flooring he spends most time on.

Here is some straightforward information and advice about Sore Hocks

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.asp

Back