• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am stuck about how to get the girls to lose some weight ...

LaraFarah

Alpha Buck
Basically my girls only have forage and hay along with grass in their run. No pellets.

They have been to the vet for a check up and they are a little bit ... overweight :oops:

I am just so confused as there is nothing for me to cut down on.

Any ideas?

Probably more exerice or maybe adding pellets to their diet will mean they don't eat as much of the stuff thats making them gain weight.

I adopted a fat rabbit a few months back in my case it was just about her having more exercise.

Maybe cutting down the forage as parsnipbun said to me recently that bunnies can get fat on forage!

Also do you think they're fat? Or is it just that they're fluffy?

Thank you for the replies.

I cannot give them more exercise as they do have a rather large enclosure that they have access to from 5am to 8pm. Then they go into their outbuilding which is also large. I could give them pellets if that would work.

I would say that they really started to gain all the weight in the last two or three months. Its not sudden for sure.

I have to really feel for their ribs! They do have a rather nice layer of fat :lol: but otherwise in perfect health. They only get a bowlful of forage a day (between 5) and I cannot really cut this out as it is how I get them to come running to bed!

Is it maybe their winter coats that are making them feel more hefty? Could you add new things to their run such as boxes to jump on and dig in to encourage them to investigate and therefore exercise? Could you put their forage in something like small cardboard boxes so they have to work for it? Sorry, don't know what else to suggest.

It could be the grass. The younger the growth, the higher in protein it will be, and so may be contributing to the weight gain. Now that it's winter and they would primarily be getting hay and forage, and not much grass, they should naturally start losing some weight I would think.

The type of hay they get can also make a difference. Some varieties will be higher in protein, as well as the maturity of the hay, as a leafier hay will have more protein in it.

It might not just be a case of space, but also to get them to move around in it. As places become familiar there is less reason to explore/be active. I would see if you can keep them up and about more. For example making them work for their forage by hanging it up. Rearranging the room a bit, adding new toys each day to investigate etc.

Back