• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Hi hope someone can advise. I have taken on an unwanted bunny who is male, five years, not neutered or vaccinated. Spent whole life alone and uncared for. He is at vets but they want to run blood tests before Ga due to drinking lots. I have googled this and it says diabetes kidney or liver problems. If this is the case can he not be neutered? Are these problems treatable? If they can be managed but he can't be neutered can he live with two neutered females or will this be bad for them?

Not sure of how this will turn out :(

Excessive drinking can be indicative of Kidney or Liver problems, diabetes is very rare in Rabbits

As to whether any problem which may be found would be treatable, that would depend on exactly what the problem was. A GA would be a higher risk for a Rabbit with compromised Kidney/Liver function. A decision as to whether to proceed with a 'routine' castrate if a kidney/liver problem were to be found would have to be made on an individual case basis, it's impossible to give a blanket 'yes' or 'no' answer.

It would not be possible for an entire Buck to live with two spayed Does. The Buck would endlessly pester the Does and fighting would be almost inevitable. Even if fighting did not occur it would be an extremely stressful way for all three Rabbits to live

How much is he drinking as some do drink a bit more than others, does he look in good condition :) and how long have you had him?

That's good news.

You haven't added vitamins to the water? That can make some bunnies drink excessively.

I'm sure the vets already checked but teeth? Also could it be possible that he's not used to eating a lot of hay and that's making him thirstier?

How long have you had him? We often find, when we take a rabbit from a poor situation, that they will drink a lot for the first couple of weeks, it is as though the fact they have clean water, or even water, is a real novelty.

How much is he drinking as some do drink a bit more than others, does he look in good condition :) and how long have you had him?

He looks in fairly good condition, but I know he has been neglected. I have heard from his owner that this started about July. He ate cheap muesli and she gave him a carrot every day. vet thinks he might have a few spurs but nothing that stops him eating.

I am measuring his drinking from 8.30 tonight over a 24 hour period.

I have had him five days.

I'm sure the vets already checked but teeth? Also could it be possible that he's not used to eating a lot of hay and that's making him thirstier?

Mark said a few small spurs but nothing to be too concerned about at the mo, he was going to look further when under GA for the neuter, but that is on hold at the moment.

He was drinking lots before I got him I found out today from his owners. Since July. They just thought the water bottle was leaking....

How long have you had him? We often find, when we take a rabbit from a poor situation, that they will drink a lot for the first couple of weeks, it is as though the fact they have clean water, or even water, is a real novelty.

Possible, but I don't think so in this case, as he was drinking/peeing excessively through summer before I got him.

<Maybe, if the bottle was leaking, he is now making up for the lack of water. The guinea pigs had a bottle which started leaking, at first I thought they were drinking it, then I noticed the bedding was soaked.

Some of mine drink around 200 mls, Roger drinks probably a bit more, but most drink less. When I first had Sammy he drank lots but now he is "normal".

What weight is he? My three go through about a litre in a day so I don't think that's too bad. When Mischa was drinking a lot I'm sure he was drinking more than that.

I cant remember what weight he was when he was weighed at the vet but a guess would be 2.5-3kg..

I believe the average is 100ml per kg per 24 hrs so 300ml in 12 would be double that but it may just be change in diet or change in environment. The other thing I found with Mischa was he was spilling a lot of water down himself. Are you using bottle or bowl? Could it be he was used to a bottle and is now enjoying being able to drink more from a bowl?

I believe the average is 100ml per kg per 24 hrs so 300ml in 12 would be double that but it may just be change in diet or change in environment. The other thing I found with Mischa was he was spilling a lot of water down himself. Are you using bottle or bowl? Could it be he was used to a bottle and is now enjoying being able to drink more from a bowl?

He does now have a bowl and before a bottle, but I do believe he was drinking more since July but the owners never did anything about it. I am wondering if it is behavioural? boredom, stress (dog used to chase him), tiny hutch issue, alone, poor diet etc.....

Do some rabbits perhaps just drink more than others? Barney drinks much more water than my other three, he's been seen by a few different rabbit-savvy vets over the course of his life and none of them thought he had any health problems apart from his snuffles.

If your bun is now living in a bigger space than before and therefore is a lot more active, maybe this would cause him to drink more?

Do some rabbits perhaps just drink more than others? Barney drinks much more water than my other three, he's been seen by a few different rabbit-savvy vets over the course of his life and none of them thought he had any health problems apart from his snuffles.

If your bun is now living in a bigger space than before and therefore is a lot more active, maybe this would cause him to drink more?

I accept all could be viable suggestions, but he started excessively drinking in July the owners state. Before he came to me.

I think it might be behavioural/diet/dental related now. Called the vets today and an awaiting a call back as to what the vet suggests.

Back