• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about insurance claim

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
eddie had a dental today and he is insured with exotic direct. when they say they cover 50% of dental costs, does that mean the actual dental cost, or the whole dental procedure cost, including the sedation/GA? :wave:

eddie had a dental today and he is insured with exotic direct. when they say they cover 50% of dental costs, does that mean the actual dental cost, or the whole dental procedure cost, including the sedation/GA? :wave:

I would assume everything. Give them a call I find Exotic direct the easiest insurance company to deal with.

I would assume everything. Give them a call I find Exotic direct the easiest insurance company to deal with.

thanks. not sure how insurance works really and when it's worth claiming or not. the actual dental was about £37. the GA was £71 ish. £50 excess and then they pay half. i think... :?

thanks. not sure how insurance works really and when it's worth claiming or not. the actual dental was about £37. the GA was £71 ish. £50 excess and then they pay half. i think... :?

Is the excess £50 now ? It used to be £35 but I know everything changes year by year. If it came to £108 I would still claim if you get £58 back, although your premium may go up but if you make a few claims each year its worth claiming every time.

Is the excess £50 now ? It used to be £35 but I know everything changes year by year. If it came to £108 I would still claim if you get £58 back, although your premium may go up but if you make a few claims each year its worth claiming every time.

had to double check then! both eddie and mollie have £50 excess.

sorry if i'm being thick... so basically i take the £50 excess off the total amount each time and then get the remaining amount back? but in this case i get half because they only cover 50% if it's dental? .... that's right isn't it? :oops::lol:

had to double check then! both eddie and mollie have £50 excess.

sorry if i'm being thick... so basically i take the £50 excess off the total amount each time and then get the remaining amount back? but in this case i get half because they only cover 50% if it's dental? .... that's right isn't it? :oops::lol:
Better check mine as well.

Oh yes how dumb of me. £108 minus £54 then minus £50 excess equals £4. Not worth claiming £4 because they would only increase next years premium.

Better check mine as well.

Oh yes how dumb of me. £108 minus £54 then minus £50 excess equals £4. Not worth claiming £4 because they would only increase next years premium.

they might have changed the excess because they changed the payments to be over ten months instead of over twelve like it used to be.

what would you consider an amount worth claiming for? x

they might have changed the excess because they changed the payments to be over ten months instead of over twelve like it used to be.

what would you consider an amount worth claiming for? x

Not sure, over £20 or so. But then they might work it out as £108 minus £50 excess, leaving £58 take half away leaving £29. I will see if I can find an old claim. I keep everything.

thanks. things like this really confuse me. :oops: x

Don't worry insurance is meant to confuse.

I see the excess has always been £50 since 2011, no idea where I got the £35 from.

My claim was £480.17 in 2013:shock: it says £480.17 minus veterinary fees excess £50.00. That isn't much help as there were no other deductions but they put up the premium from £129.90 to £186.19 the next year, an increase of £56.29. Ouch

you can phone them on 01444412118. I can't see anything in the booklet on how they work out claims.

Don't worry insurance is meant to confuse.

I see the excess has always been £50 since 2011, no idea where I got the £35 from.

My claim was £480.17 in 2013:shock: it says £480.17 minus veterinary fees excess £50.00. That isn't much help as there were no other deductions but they put up the premium from £129.90 to £186.19 the next year, an increase of £56.29. Ouch

you can phone them on 01444412118. I can't see anything in the booklet on how they work out claims.

o/h said he will give them a call tomorrow. then he can have the task of trying to explain it to me :lol: i get confused and he doesn't explain well so should be fun :lol:

thanks for your help :wave: x

update on this - o/h phoned to ask some basic questions. the man was really difficult and said they can't give out that info and basically accused him of trying to get more info as a way to get more money out of a claim :shock:

all we wanted to know was whether you have to get a new form for every appointment, and if the excess applies for every appointment even if it's a continuation of treatment. and whether that is still the same because it's dental.

:roll:

update on this - o/h phoned to ask some basic questions. the man was really difficult and said they can't give out that info and basically accused him of trying to get more info as a way to get more money out of a claim :shock:

all we wanted to know was whether you have to get a new form for every appointment, and if the excess applies for every appointment even if it's a continuation of treatment. and whether that is still the same because it's dental.

:roll:

How rude. Would your OH pluck up the courage to phone back and speak to someone more helpful ? Normally you make one claim for the continuation of the one condition.

I don't claim unless the bill is over £100. My excess with Petplan is £50, and my vet deals directly with them as most vets do I believe, and so if it is going to be an insurance claim, I only have to pay the excess to my vet and complete my part of the form and then he does the rest.

Petplan paid my buns dental work which was £431.86 minus the excess. I've heard people say they don't pay for dentals but they have always paid my claims over the last 11yrs, with the only requirement being that the bun has had his teeth checked within the previous 12 months. I think a lot depends as well as to how your vet words why the dental work was needed.

With Petplan I have only completed one form and paid one excess per injury, illness or dental treatment and I would have thought that standard. For Roger's dental surgery there was a total of 4 consultations for the one condition, but just the one excess and form.

thanks. eddie's total is just over £250 for everything. they pay 50% of dental costs, minus the excess and anything they don't cover, like the recovery food we bought there. probably be something else aswell i'm sure. x

Back