• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie Belly Pressing - metacam question

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Rosie is not well tonight. Saw her lying flat and belly pressing at 11.30pm. Gave her cisapride, zantac and 0.6mls of metacam. She weighs 1.9kg. Now feel I should have given more as she has stopped belly pressing but is now hunched with her eyes narrow and she is teeth grinding. She did eat 3 wee food pellets about 10 mins ago.. Think it may be gas from a grape I gave her tonight. When can I give her more metacam and should I up the dose to say 0.8ml?? If she doesn't improve obviously vets in morning. A worrying night of bunny watching for me :(

You have not mentioned anything about poo output ? For future reference unless you are 100% certain that she does not have an obstruction then it really isn't a good idea to administer any gut motility meds (ie cisipride/zantac). Before gut motility meds are given a full examination of the Rabbit is always necessary as what can be felt on palpation of the abdomen can provide some very important information. As can listening to the abdomen with a stethoscope.

Re the Metacam, you dont say what strength you are using ? The 0.5mg/ml (cat metacam) or the 1.5mg/ml (dog metacam). In this type of situation you really need to speak with a Vet. I would get Rosie seen this morning.

Sending vibes for her xx

She is fine now! I sat with her until 2.30am massaged her wee back and neck until she was eatting more andmore pellets an then shejust suddenly stopped vibrating , ran into the kitchen and sat with the others. Same pattern when she has a gassy episode. Relieved again. Jane you are 100% right about the poo thing. Sorry I didn't add that info but she had been pooping prior to this and I know the dangers of cisapride and obstruction. I was 99% sure the grape caused it and i was just panicking over the pain relief and forgot to add the important details. It was the dog metacam 1.5mg/l. I k ow the new guidance is 0.6mls per kg but in a gassy episode would 0.6mls on its own be enough?? Thanks for vibes.

She is fine now! I sat with her until 2.30am massaged her wee back and neck until she was eatting more andmore pellets an then shejust suddenly stopped vibrating , ran into the kitchen and sat with the others. Same pattern when she has a gassy episode. Relieved again. Jane you are 100% right about the poo thing. Sorry I didn't add that info but she had been pooping prior to this and I know the dangers of cisapride and obstruction. I was 99% sure the grape caused it and i was just panicking over the pain relief and forgot to add the important details. It was the dog metacam 1.5mg/l. I k ow the new guidance is 0.6mls per kg but in a gassy episode would 0.6mls on its own be enough?? Thanks for vibes.

It's 0.6MG/Kg, not 0.6ml/Kg

0.6mg/kg equates to 0.4ml/kg when using the DOG Metacam

This is usually the maximum dose per 24 hours. But some Vets will prescribe it every 12 hours for a limited amount of time.

Back