• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does the wind unsettle bunnies?

hedgepig

Young Bun
My rescuc bunnies (8 months) came to live with us last Friday and they have been settling in well, but today they seem a bit.........unsettled is probably the nearest description I can make. They are in an aviary with a hutch inside the aviary in a very sheltered part of the garden but it has been incredibly windy today. Woiuld the wind unsettle them? They are eating, drinking and pooing well, they just seem a bit out of sorts.

It could unsettle them as it can make strange noises and obviously make trees and bushes rustle, which are all new noises to them.

My 2 girls aren't bothered in the slightest but we've had them for 3 years now.

I'm sure yours will settle in time; it's all still very new to them don't forget.

teachers know that the wind unsettles children, so I don't see why bunnies should be any different.

does it really happybun? OI must remember to lock up the kids when its windy :D

I've just read so much stuff about what can go wrong for rabbits health wise I'm being a bit paranoid!

It might when combined with them still being very new to their home, but I'd expect them to be fine as they settle in and get used to all the new sounds/things to see.

A lot of rabbits get scared in the wind because they can't rely on their sense of smell (as they always do) nor can they rely on their hearing as the wind is too noisy. Being prey animals they would be very vulnerable in windy conditions in the wild. :)

They will be just getting used to their new surroundings, including the noises and smells etc. My buns are indoor buns and dislike going out in the wind. They will still enjoy themselves but are much more alert and "on edge". I think it's just because they can't quite hear/smell properly because of the swirling air.

Welcome to bunny parenthood...they will most definitely test you! :lol:

When Beau had stasis more often, it often seem to coincide with windy nights, I think there was a connection.

I guess it depends on the individual bun.... during last years storms I went outside to check the bunnies accomadation was still intact, and Benji was sitting in the run facing the very strong wind! Nutter! lol x

Back