• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My little Buttons is very ill, shes gone :(

mushlett

Mama Doe
I have just rushed Buttons to the vet for an emergency appointment as she is breathing heavily, the vet fears she has tumours on her lungs the other issue which is more hopeful but unlikely is pneumonia she didn't think it was worth doing xrays as they could have come back inconclusive so we have begun aggressive treatment for pneumonia she has had metacam, baytril and depocillin, I am so worried that she won't make it and this will break my daughters heart she has put so much time and effort into turning her from a scared aggressive rabbit into the friendly little soul she is today. She is a very loved rabbit xx

Last edited:
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that Buttons is so poorly. Hopefully it will be pneumonia and the treatment will be effective. Hugs.

I am really sorry :cry: Is she spayed ?

I hope that she responds to antibiotics xx

She is spayed, it's her lungs that the vet is worried about, they sound really bad and you can see her breathing, the vet is very concerned that she has tumours on her lungs :( xx

She is spayed, it's her lungs that the vet is worried about, they sound really bad and you can see her breathing, the vet is very concerned that she has tumours on her lungs :( xx

That's why I asked if she is spayed. Had she not been then tumours in her lungs could have been more likely. Hopefully it is 'just' infection that will respond to abx xx

That's why I asked if she is spayed. Had she not been then tumours in her lungs could have been more likely. Hopefully it is 'just' infection that will respond to abx xx

Thankyou, the vet said that it is still possible for it to be tumours and this is unfortunately what she fears it is.
I really am the world's biggest idiot, I noticed she wasn't right yesterday because she kept picking up her pellets and putting her head up to eat them so I thought she might be having problems with her teeth, I didn't even think it could be because she couldn't breathe properly. On my vets advice I have brought her inside and separated her from Twinkle so that I can monitor her output.
She has eaten really well and done lots of normal looking poos. She has eaten all her pellets and herbs but I don't think she's had any hay but it's hard to tell, she has some dried forage and some fibrefast sticks, I don't know whether to give her anything else? Although she is still hopping around every now and then she stops and puts her head up and back, she's not actually mouth breathing but this is so horrible, does anyone have any advice as to what else I could do?
Thankyou everyone for your help and wishes and Jane you are truly amazing for replying after the day you have had xx

Back