• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Range - Hutches

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I had a trip to The Range last night where I live to get the boys some hay and some excel herbs to keep them occupied. I always see the hutches that they sell in there but always just tend to scoff at them and move on.

Last night there was a lady looking at them, I overheard her saying to the assistant that she had one female rabbit who was a lion head, that she wanted a new hutch for her and she liked the 4ft double ones with the 4ft runs to attach onto it. Obviously I knew that this was still too small, although the lady seemed like she was trying to do her best (i.e. buying a run and getting the biggest one they had available)

The sales assistant was SO full of ****. :evil: It REALLY annoyed me, she was showing the lady the smaller singles ones and saying things like ''oh you could even keep two rabbits in this one'' and ''it will be nice and warm'' and all sorts of complete lies. I mean I'm not pre-judging, the sales assistant probably just doesn't know that the hutches are completely inadequate, but I was there looking at the hay and herbs and I had to try SO hard to not just say ''You're being told a load of lies love'' but I struggle enough as it is with my anxiety. I just couldn't bring myself to speak to her, not with the sales assistant there, if she had wandered off then I might have had the guts to say something. But I didn't. My partner was giving me the ''don't you say anything'' look too....The lady did end up with a double 4ft hutch and a 4ft run to attach onto it. But I feel really disappointed in myself....

Now I feel like I've let some poor bun down. :(

It's not your fault that people are totally clueless.

I sometimes hesitate on whether or not I should tell people, and I get the same look off my OH :lol::lol:

It usually depends on whether I think the person will take my advice well or not for me. I don't wanna start an argument in the middle of a shop.

Perhaps take some rwaf leaflets in to the shop and just kind of leave them near the hutches :lol::lol:

I feel like this too. Luckily I work as a receptionist in a vets and I get to share my RU wisdom with bunny owners there, it's a great feeling to educate people and they are always really grateful.

In a shop I don't know if I would have the guts to interfere unless it was absolutely terrible and someone was going to buy a tiny hutch or something but OH would disown me at that point :lol:

Don't feel as though you let the bun down hopefully the owner will discover RU and start learning for herself :thumb: she probably has a garden she lets it out in too..

I'm the other extreme. I can't hold my tongue when it comes to animals and then I spend the rest of the day beating myself up over being a preachy cow :/ some people are happy to take advice while other people just don't listen.

Don't be hard on yourself. I would have found it difficult with two people there aswell xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I recently had a good old preach to a friend of mine who text me saying "the kids keep on at me to get a couple of rabbits" but in a shop I'm not sure I'd be so confident. Maybe you could contact the store and ask them to inform their staff about the minimum living requirements for a bunny and ask them to stop selling such small hutches?

Either way, it's not your fault she bought the hutch she did, so don't feel bad. I quite often think people are really quick to use the internet for pants purposes like Facebook, but yet they don't seem able to use it for information. Grr!

X

Try not to feel too bad about not saying anything, I always want to speak up if I see anything wrong but the last time I (politely) complained at a petting zoo I got a load of abuse and threats, so it has put me off a bit.

Is it worth contacting the company rather than the individual store itself? Maybe if you emailed and explained the hutches are too small, at least you can feel better knowing you've done what you can :thumb: xx

I wouldn't have the nerve either. Unless it was someone I knew really well or was specifically asked me for advice, I wouldn't be able to say anything either :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been in a similar situation at a local pet shop.They were looking at hutches(all too small)I told them about RWAF and their recommendations.They didn't buy anything that day-just hope they ended up buying a decent hutch for their future buns.Im currently plucking up the courage to talk to a local nursery school who have a single bun in a small hutch in their nursery garden-no run.Its giving the children the wrong message.I will have to do it im just thinking of the best way to go about it without coming over as a busy-body.I don't know if anyone is responsible for it at the weekend or if its just left until Monday morning.

the RWAF got in touch with them last year regarding the hutch sizes etc, seems they have not taken advice onboard :cry: as our local one had tiny hutches to, advertised as for rabbits, wouldn't even put a guinea pig in them

I get that same look too when I'm accompanied by someone who knows me better and I can overhear customers discussing getting a baby rabbit to keep floppy company or buying a single rabbit because two much is hard work even though it's blatantly splitting up a bonded pair and they don't know the customer from Adam! I wish I could find somewhere other than pets at home to buy my animal stuff from because I'm never done giving off about the rubbish they spout in there! It breaks my heart seeing them sell animals willynilly never mind accommodation!! And don't even get me started on the adoption centre! It makes me seeth for days! Retailers should be more responsible and held accountable *shakes fist* *climbs on soapbox*

The Range is a hellhole anyway! (Yes, that's where I broke both my arms...)

Perhaps say something to them on their Fb page?

The Range is a hellhole anyway! (Yes, that's where I broke both my arms...)

Perhaps say something to them on their Fb page?

Noooo I love the range :cry: not the pet section as I don't go in that bit, but the other stuff they sell is :love::love::love::love:

Back