• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for Rabbit with Cancer - others experiences and advice please

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I didn't really know what to title this or if I should start a separate thread but I just really wanted to hear from people who have had rabbits with cancer. Most especially Lymphoma. I am just at a loss and am seeking information. I should hear back from the Vet today but people's personal experience is valuable.

My 8 year old rabbit, Billie, has been diagnoised with cancer. I have a thread for him. The Vet believes he had Lymphoma. His lymph nodes are swollen, he has a large tumor on his kidney and he has fluid on his lungs. I know that no one can tell me for sure but does this mean it is advanced? Is this what the fluid on his lungs means?

I'm so very confused about the whole situation and dont' want him to suffer. I have been trying to look online for information but there isn't a lot out there. And when I find stuff it is all so general.

Billie is on Metcam twice a day. But I want to add a diuretic to get the fluid off his lungs. Is this safe to do with rabbits? I know my cat had this when she had cardiomyopathy.

I feel very alone with this and want to do what is best for Bill. Thanks.

I didn't really know what to title this or if I should start a separate thread but I just really wanted to hear from people who have had rabbits with cancer. Most especially Lymphoma. I am just at a loss and am seeking information. I should hear back from the Vet today but people's personal experience is valuable.

My 8 year old rabbit, Billie, has been diagnoised with cancer. I have a thread for him. The Vet believes he had Lymphoma. His lymph nodes are swollen, he has a large tumor on his kidney and he has fluid on his lungs. I know that no one can tell me for sure but does this mean it is advanced? Is this what the fluid on his lungs means?

I'm so very confused about the whole situation and dont' want him to suffer. I have been trying to look online for information but there isn't a lot out there. And when I find stuff it is all so general.

Billie is on Metcam twice a day. But I want to add a diuretic to get the fluid off his lungs. Is this safe to do with rabbits? I know my cat had this when she had cardiomyopathy.

I feel very alone with this and want to do what is best for Bill. Thanks.

Sadly what you describe does fit with advanced disease :cry: His kidneys may not be functioning efficiently now due to the tumour and this would be one reason why he has build up of fluid around his lungs- pleural effusion. Pleural effusions are also a symptom of Lymphoma, amongst other cancers. You may notice that Billie struggles more to breathe when lying down and you may notice 'hiccuping' again. I dont think that Diuretics would be of benefit if the effusion is a result of cancer as opposed to Congestive Heart Failure. Often a chest drain is needed to treat a pleural effusion that is severe and related to a cancer or end stage renal disease. Personally I would not agree to this for an elderly Rabbit with advanced cancer as a GA would be needed, the procedure would be high risk and the effusion may recur in a relatively short space of time.

I am sorry that Billie is so ill :cry:

I'm so sorry. I'm grateful I've not experienced this although I have had a bun with cancer. All I can say was that, in my case, he stayed well with pain control and a "kidney drug" until the last 12 hours when he just quietly slipped away in his sleep after waking when I got in from work to say a last hello. I hope he stays peaceful. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear about Billy I have been following your threads also hope you are ok as we all know how stressful these situations can be.

It's so hard I know as I had a bunny diagnosed with cancer some years ago and like Billy and all bunnies he was very special. I agonised over the decision for him and he was a few years younger than Billy but in discussion with my vet and given the longer term diagnosis I decided to help him to the bridge. At the time I wondered if I'd done the right thing but then having a post mortem there was evidence of pneumonia setting in so I felt better in knowing I had made the right decision.

This is not suggesting any particular direction for your lad at the moment only that perhaps in talking open and honestly with your vet it may help you decide the way forward.

Hope this helps and please don't feel alone with this - I'm sure I speak for everyone here who has ever had a poorly bun in that we will try our utmost to give support and virtual vibes to you and Billy.

I have had other pets with cancer, but not my rabbits *touch wood.* But I wanted to send my vibes and prayers for you and Billie.
I know you'll be doing whatever you can do to make him comfortable of course and enjoy spending time with him. I wish there were something I could do to help, words just seem so insignificant. :(
((((((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))) xxxx

THanks everyone, you have echoed basically what the Vet told me today and she advised me to not wait any longer and have Bill put to sleep because he was really having a difficult time breathing. His poos were really small and black, he wasn't eating as much, and just had no energy. She explained that the cancer had metastasized and was all around his body. As you said Jane, draining the lungs was an option but I did not want to put him through that experience knowing that the lungs would simply fill up again. So we spent the day together and I petted him and when I would stop he would headbutt me and I would have to pet him again. At 2:45 pm I took him to the Vets and had him put to sleep. I stayed with him and petted his head and I hope that his last memory of that was good. I'm in shock and miss him desperately. My other rabbit seems a bit skittish and confused. Even though they only lived side by side I know that Jack is wondering where Bill is.

I am so exhausted and sad from the whole ordeal and I pray I did the right thing for Bill. The Vet listened to his chest today and it was so crackly. She said that last week she couldn't hear anything in his chest so the cancer had advanced a lot in a short span of time. :(

I will miss my boy greatly. :cry:

Lynn, I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry:
Billie was blessed to have you caring for him. He was obviously deeply loved by you.
I just can't find words to tell you how sad I am for you. :( But you did right by Billie and he is comfortable again now and whole at the Bridge.
Sending you ((((((((huge hugs))))))) at this very sad time. xxxx

Bless your heart Lynn, you have given Billie the greatest gift of love and compassion. I personally believe it was 100% the right thing to do. I know there are no words that can even begin to ease the pain you are feeling now. I wont lie and say 'time heals', but just try to hold on to all that Billie gave during his life and of the love you shared with him. I promise that love will never ever die

((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

RIP Billie xx

I'm so, so sorry to hear this :cry: I'm quite sure he felt nothing but safety and love in your arms until the end. Sweet dreams little one.

I'm so so sorry :cry:

I know no words can help right now, but thinking of you and sending (((hugs)))

Sweet dreams Billie xx

I'm so sorry :cry: I'm sure Billie has had a wonderful life with you, and will have felt love right to the end. I'm sure you made the right decision for Billie and you put his needs first.

Binky free Billie

Sending hugs xx

Oh no :( I am so sorry, I have been thinking of you and Billie and am so sorry to read this update :cry: he was very lucky to have had you looking out for him *hugs*

Binky free Billie xxx

I am so sorry that Billie is gone but you did the kindest act for Billie.

In June Cutie-pie had a scan for a suspect lump on her liver, I really wasn't expecting anything sinister especially as she was fine within herself, running around and eating and drinking normally. The vet called and the scan showed tumours everywhere and while she was still under the general he said the kindest thing was to let her go. She was the same age as Billie. I know its hard but at least Billie isn't suffering now. Hugs xxx

Back