• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Rabbit Grid Cage For A Giant And His Friend?

Hello! :wave:

I've been looking into getting a Flemish or other type of giant for a while now and the time is finally right for getting one. There's an ad for a litter of Flemmie babies near me and I've seen a lovely little Lionhead female (she looks like a little ball of fluff :love:) I mostly feel sorry for the little lion as she was bought for children, wasn't spayed got territorial and abandoned to the back garden when the children got bored of her. I was looking into getting a not so little boy flemmie so they would be apart till both of them were neutered/spayed. The female will be spayed once I get her home as she's 7 mo at the moment.

I've also been looking at C&C cages and have been offered 90 grids. After both buns are bonded they'll be living together of course, and both buns won't be in they're cages all the time (free range in their own room). Bit of a dim question but after the girlie is healed and fine I would be fine to start introducing them together with no risks wouldn't I? Has anyone got any plans/blueprints for cage ideas for me as they would help loads right now? I'm having more problems looking for ideas for the boy as he needs something quite big. The lion is a small girl however, meaning cage ideas are readily available. Also ideas for shelves that would support the boys weight are brilliant. The other option is to let the boy stay free in my room with a crate for night time and let the girl stay in the spare room. But this could be a bit dodgy at the moment as they're not litter trained at all.

Sorry for the long post but I've not had buns for a while and never had a C&C cage.

Aren't C&C cages for guinea pigs? I'm a bit confused as I imagine bunnies could jump straight out of them- especially a giant.

90 grids sounds like a lot. But to be honest I can't see how anything big enough to house a Flemish giant could be made from them and still be a sound structure, I imagine it would get quite flimsy.

If they are going to be house buns it might be more sensible to use the grids to bunny proof the room by protecting corners and wires from teeth and just let them free range!

I got these for my little lionlops and even for them, I didn't personally find it ideal for building a big enough, strong enough structure. I think some people add floors and make double levels, I guess this or adding other forms of rigidity to it might add to the strength, but adding to the fact that for a giant I'm guessing you'd going to need to make the space at least two square high, and I think you may well find them more bother than they're worth as a pen.

I now use my grids for bunny proofing, and they're fantastic for that. Especially as they're going to have their own room I'd agree with Hele and say that's a great way to go.

I think I'd go for a pen rather than a cage ie. go tall enough you can do it open top as otherwise you'd have trouble supporting the roof in a cage big enough for a giant. To behonest you might find a wire pen is easier than the cubes. For shelves I'd go for free standing e.g. use a small table or build the equivalent with wood. I don't think you could support a giant on a shelf just make from the cubes to heavy!

Using them to divide the room in two might work. You don't really need a cage at all if they've got a room. I've seen people make a row of the cubes around the room edge to protect skirting etc. they'd be good for that.

This is what I made with my grids. It's 6 x almost 4 foot :) its very sturdy , adding levels helped with this xx

tavamyra.jpg

tyby7abu.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all.
I wasn't going to add levels using grids as I thought they wouldn't be strong enough for them. I was just going to get different sized hides and other assorted things to give them a higher up perch. I've been looking more into pens since posting this and that seems the better idea at the moment. The cage is only temporary till they're fixed, toilet trained and tolerating of each other as I don't believe there will ever be an affordable big enough cage to house a giant then they will be totally free range, but until then I don't really fancy the idea of rabbit pee getting in the carpet.

A cheap bit of lino is good for covering a big area, just roll it out over the carpet (bit of double sided tape if necessary to keep the edges down).

Back