• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matting?

charbecca

New Kit
hi. I have a lionhead rabbit Rupert. well due to personal issues I rehomed him a few weeks ago. however it didnt work out and i took him back today. but his fur is now, matted, and smelly, what do i do? how do I removed matts, I combed but it only helps a little, there are no groomers who do rabbits here, and vets say they will need to put him under anaesthetic which could cost up to £100 I cant afford it atm. any ideas how to do this myself? TIA.

hi. I have a lionhead rabbit Rupert. well due to personal issues I rehomed him a few weeks ago. however it didnt work out and i took him back today. but his fur is now, matted, and smelly, what do i do? how do I removed matts, I combed but it only helps a little, there are no groomers who do rabbits here, and vets say they will need to put him under anaesthetic which could cost up to £100 I cant afford it atm. any ideas how to do this myself? TIA.

You have to be very very careful before you take a pair of scissors to the matts as it's easy to snip their skin by mistake. I would suggest that it's a two person job. One person to hold firmly and the other to identify and get the comb underneath the matts before attempting to snip them off. Preferably that person to have some experience of grooming rabbits as their skin tears so easily.

Will the rabbit be staying with you now or are you looking to rehome him again?

Where abouts are you? FondueKid here on RU comes to sort out my hairy lion head for me and is brilliant at getting matts out.

Have a look at bunny boarders in your area, sometimes they offer extra services like grooming/nail clipping. They might have the extra pair of hands to make it a bit easier :)

Hi there :wave: my bunny Chloe has had several dematts under anesthetic and yes it is pricey! I didn't want to keep putting her under though so I spoke to the vet who suggested I cut her hair with scissors. She has Angora type fur so it's everywhere. I spend 10 minutes every morning while she eats her pellets cutting her hair. I'm extremely careful and take it slowly. She wouldn't tolerate it without food in front of her so perhaps you could try doing the same with Rupert.

It's not very hard if the rabbit isn't wiggly. i've dematted quite a lot as my old American fuzzy lops and mini lop Izzy were prone to matts.

Make sure you have a really sharp pair of small scissors and some treats on hand. I clipped them in a place they weren't used to going because they were calm in unfamiliar surroundings. And if in doubt clip very small parts off at a time so you can be sure you're not getting too close to the skin.

Back