• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations after Gut Stasis

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,

My 9 year old rabbit Toby stopped eating on 30th July, was hospitalised and diagnosed as having Gut Stasis.
He was eating and pooing properly by a week or so later so early August. He is doing really well now.
Now my rabbits are due to have their vaccinations and I am worried that with Toby being ill with Gut Stasis recently, weather it is a good time for him to have his injections or if I should wait a little longer.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you.

The Vet should thoroughly examine him before giving a vaccination. The Vet will have access to his clinical records and he/she will see his recent problems (as long as you dont take your Rabbit to a different surgery for vaccinations, never a good idea.................)

Only a comprehensive examination of your Rabbit by a Vet can answer your question :)

Good luck x

Yep ditto Jacks Jane - I'm in the same position with my much loved Bunster and his vaccination is due shortly - my appointment is already booked given we are well into the Myxi season and he has always previously had vaccination but will take vet advice - bunny was very seriously poorly and hospitalised for a week and then had a further statis attack 6 weeks ago but he is on the mend now.

I think all bunny parents know how much hard work can go into getting a bunny back on track from a serious statis bout so I certainly don't want anything to risk setting him back.

That said I trust my vet and suspect she will say that the small risk in my case outweighs the benefit but each case is very different dependent on med history, also where the bunny is housed and surrounding environment.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies.

I phoned the Vet Practice where Toby was treated and told it would be OK for him now to have his injections.
However, when I took him there with Willow last Friday (I took her for Ear Wax problems) the Vet I saw said it was best to wait a bit longer until Willow's 2nd (ear treatment) injection in 2 weeks.

I do get a bit annoyed when one Vet says one thing and then one says another!

Back