• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fracture in spine.

lil860

Warren Scout
Took Louie my 7yr old rabbit to the vets this morning as he wasnt using his back legs. Vets have done xrays and confirmed he has a slight fracture. They are sending him home for a week on painkillers to see if things improve for him. Just wondering whether any one has experianced this with their rabbit. Im very worried but giving him the best chance possible.

Sorry no experience, but just wanted to send loads of vibes. Is your little one on cage rest?

Hes now home , vet said he also has arthritis , hes on metacam for a week to see if things improve. He seems much brighter to me and trying to sit up and move about.

Poor lad :cry:

Did the Vet advise you to keep him confined ? Can he use his back legs at all ? What about his bladder control ?

My first bun fractured one of the bony bits that protrudes from the spine when she was about 8. No one knows how she did it; there was nothing really high for her to fall off in her enclosure and so far as we know, she'd not had a accident - neither of us were really allowed near her and she lived happily with her mum. We assumed she'd "fallen" from the hutch door which was raised with a ramp. It healed well and she lived to 11 with absolutely no Ill effects. She just had pain-killer. I guess it depends on the location and extent of damage.

Yes cage rest he is in a smaller cage , he is eating and drinking and going to the loo fine not incontinant. Hes trying to put some weight through his legs now tried to get up when i went to check on him.

Back