• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding and Changing Straw in Pen

sueny

Warren Scout
Hi, Not been on here for some time but came back on a couple of weeks ago to research bonding after loosing our girl Daisy during her spay op. After getting over it, we immediately decided that Pip needed a companion and set out in search for a neutered male for her. We eventually settled on Alfie, a rescue rabbit from the RSPCA. I can't praise RSPCA Walsall branch enough for what they do. I have commented on anther thread regarding adoption from the RSPCA.

Anyway, we picked up Alfie from the foster carer yesterday and he is just gorgeous.

We have converted the study into, what the children call, a "dating room" with a lined pen filled with straw and hay. We tried a litter tray but Alfie just kept hiding around it so we took it out.

Day 1 - no fighting, both getting on well with just a little chasing and Alfie mounting Pip which she's not bothered about. They 'slept' overnight next to one another!

Day 2 (am) - lots of lying next to each other, a little chasing and Alfie trying to mount Pip again. I think it's starting to annoy her now. Still no fighting (touch wood).

How often should I change the straw in the pen? Any other advice re bonding would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It should be ok to change the straw and put some fresh hay in with a few nibbles just to deter any unrest. They sound really good together so I would just keep things as they are for a few more days. :thumb: The chasing/humping should die down eventually.

Back