• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess/uneaten Cecals - a bit baffled

Fellie

Warren Veteran
I am (well- Harley is) having a problem with uneaten cecals. Most mornings I am seeing 'splats' - and I am assuming it is from Harley as I had problems with her when we first brought her home - she was on Excel pellets then and when we changed her to SS those 'splats' stopped.

She lives with Bobo - who has never had uneaten cecals as far as I can remember. They get fed SS pellets in the morning, loads of hay throughtout the day and herbs etc in the evening. They also get a fenugreek crunchie each when they come out for free range. She doesn't eat an awful lot of pellets - she isn't a greedy bun - just eats what she wants and then leave the rest - Bobo polishes off her pellets for her:).

They were getting a very small amount of muesli (probably about a couple of teaspoons each) as a bedtime treat (all the buns get this) - but I have stopped this now for Harley - she just gets a bowl of dried herbs - a dandelion mix, but I am still getting splats.

Just not sure what to do now? I wonder if there is something up with her digestive system - her normal poops are extremely small and dark - I've not ever worried too much about these because she eats well, and eats lots of hay.

OR- could it be the Alfalfa Kings Timorthy hay she is getting these days? The buns adore this hay - but could it be more rich than the normal meadow hay I had previously been giving them (and still do).?

I'm having exactly the same problem with uneaten cecals. I'm trying to transfer my boy over to Oxbow bunny basics, as reading through old RU posts I've found that some people have experienced this when feeding Burgess, which my bun is currently on and has been for quite some time. I've booked a vets appointment for next Monday, as I know it can also be a sign of dental problems, or other digestive problems, but I am hoping it's not either. Hope you find an answer as to what's causing it! :wave:

Have you tried cutting everything out except hay for 24 hours? If she doesn't have the excess cecals after that then you know it is the pellets or the herbs.

I am wondering if it's the Fenugreek crunchies now, as my bun has also been having them - sometimes two a day :oops:? Although, I have cut these out over the past few days.

I am (well- Harley is) having a problem with uneaten cecals. Most mornings I am seeing 'splats' - and I am assuming it is from Harley as I had problems with her when we first brought her home - she was on Excel pellets then and when we changed her to SS those 'splats' stopped.

She lives with Bobo - who has never had uneaten cecals as far as I can remember. They get fed SS pellets in the morning, loads of hay throughtout the day and herbs etc in the evening. They also get a fenugreek crunchie each when they come out for free range. She doesn't eat an awful lot of pellets - she isn't a greedy bun - just eats what she wants and then leave the rest - Bobo polishes off her pellets for her:).

They were getting a very small amount of muesli (probably about a couple of teaspoons each) as a bedtime treat (all the buns get this) - but I have stopped this now for Harley - she just gets a bowl of dried herbs - a dandelion mix, but I am still getting splats.

Just not sure what to do now? I wonder if there is something up with her digestive system - her normal poops are extremely small and dark - I've not ever worried too much about these because she eats well, and eats lots of hay.

OR- could it be the Alfalfa Kings Timorthy hay she is getting these days? The buns adore this hay - but could it be more rich than the normal meadow hay I had previously been giving them (and still do).?

I am wondering if it's the Fenugreek crunchies now, as my bun has also been having them - sometimes two a day :oops:? Although, I have cut these out over the past few days.

I'm really hoping it's not the fenugreeks - it would break my heart - and hers - not to be able to give them. She is so funny - I open her's and Bobo's hutch, they dash out and and she immediately does the 'meerkat' pose stretchiing her head up for her crunchy...:love:

Really hope your bun is okay and the vet doesn't find anything too serious.

I would try the 24 hours of just hay - but there aren't excess cecals everyday - she can go for a few days without them and I think, oh good! - and then another one appears so it is sporadic.

I need to have a chat with hubby boy - he thinks I'm mean and nasty and will sometimes give the buns extra treats when I'm not looking :evil:

I will now cut out everything apart from pellets, hay and crunchy. Then if that doens't work - cut out the crunchie and lastly the pellets. If she is still producing the cecals on a hay only diet - then it's a vet visit.

Yes, my little boy loves the crunchies as well! He gets up on my lap for his morning one and even takes it out the jar himself! :lol:

I hope this 'mystery' is soon resolved for us both - if you find the secret, let me know! :wave:

I'm really hoping it's not the fenugreeks - it would break my heart - and hers - not to be able to give them. She is so funny - I open her's and Bobo's hutch, they dash out and and she immediately does the 'meerkat' pose stretchiing her head up for her crunchy...:love:

Really hope your bun is okay and the vet doesn't find anything too serious.

I would try the 24 hours of just hay - but there aren't excess cecals everyday - she can go for a few days without them and I think, oh good! - and then another one appears so it is sporadic.

I need to have a chat with hubby boy - he thinks I'm mean and nasty and will sometimes give the buns extra treats when I'm not looking :evil:

I will now cut out everything apart from pellets, hay and crunchy. Then if that doens't work - cut out the crunchie and lastly the pellets. If she is still producing the cecals on a hay only diet - then it's a vet visit.

Yes, my little boy loves the crunchies as well! He gets up on my lap for his morning one and even takes it out the jar himself! :lol:

I hope this 'mystery' is soon resolved for us both - if you find the secret, let me know! :wave:

Awwww....:love:

I shall share all secrets - :thumb:

I would try just cutting out the dandelions first to see if that is the cause.

One of mine did not do well on excell, switched to ss.
However dandelion can upset buns sensitive tums so it would be good to rule that out first.

Good luck

I would try just cutting out the dandelions first to see if that is the cause.

One of mine did not do well on excell, switched to ss.
However dandelion can upset buns sensitive tums so it would be good to rule that out first.

Good luck

Ooooo - thank you :thumb: Learn new things everyday on here:D I shall certainly do that:thumb:

Yes doughnut didn't get on with the dandelion mix. I know her digestion is a nightmare but she's fine with muesli and she gets a crunchie at the weekend and is fine with that too. Would try the mix first.

Bless little bobo for not letting the food go to waste.

Back