• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Building Help Please! x

HarveyBunny

New Kit
Im actually struggling to use this forum aha and found it easier if I posted on the forum Hamster Hideout, Im sure to some it would be familiar?.

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/94924-building-hutch-help-please/

On there I explain everything and also a picture! :), which is kinda why I resulted to doing it in this method As well as helping my situation I would also appreciate help on how to add a picture to my forum post and how to access a forum I made ahe.
Would really appreciate all the help I can get! <3 :love:

I'm not 100% sure if wooden pallets would be suitable, as I'm not sure what wood they're made from. If you can find out I'm sure people would be able to tell you if they're safe. Timber is safe.

Runaround do fantastic tunnel setups: http://www.runaround.co.uk/

Cuprinol is bunny safe when dry, and comes in lots of colours. It's great for waterproofing.

A slanted roof covered in roofing felt sounds great :D Two floors also sound great, although do be aware that both floors need to be 2ft tall on the inside so that bunnies can 'periscope'. Any hutch should be 6ft x 2 x 2 ft, especially if the bunnies don't have permanent access to a run.

For the bedding/substrate what a lot of people are now doing is covering the floor with non-slip lino flooring, and sealing around the edges with bathroom sealant. This completely protects the floor, and then you're free to either continue using substrate/bedding or what might be easier is having litter trays for the buns. They take to them really quickly as long as they're neutered/spayed, and it makes cleaning out a lot easier. Even if you don't use litter trays, having lino flooring will make cleaning out soo much easier as wetness doesn't seep into anything - it's just wipe clean and so easy. I wouldn't use kitchen tiles as they're very slippy. You can place one in in hot weather for them to lie on but apart from that I'd avoid it. I'd personally also avoid straw except for very cold weather (if at all) as if bunnies eat it it's not great for them nutrition wise - you'd be best to stick to hay as food and bedding really, as whatever they nibble then is good for them :)

You mentioned you replaced the chicken wire with mesh - that's great :D The recommended size is 1 x 1/2inch maximum, and that's galvanised weld mesh of 19g or thicker. If there's any mesh on floor level you want to make sure it's definitely that strong and small. You can easily get 1/2 x 1/2 inch weld mesh on eBay which is even better than the 1 x 1/2 inch. Any cats getting their claws through can really hurt a bunny so anything at ground level needs to be even stronger :D

For weather protection I personally really like roofing sheets for the top of runs, or plywood screwed onto the top painted with cuprinol. For the hutch in the winter it might be helpful to make some shutters from polycarbonate twin walled sheet just to stop the driving rain getting in, but if your tarp covers it that's also fine! I personally love the clear tarpaulin a lot more than the blue stuff, since it's a lot more waterproof!

EDIT: On the new hutch it'd be great to add bolts. At that height it'd be very hard for a predator to actually get to the doors, but at ground level it's easy for a predator to get into hutches without bolts. And the extra ground level means they can access the upper part more easily too. I personally like the bolts that you can add a padlock to, although I just tend to put a 316 steel carabiner clip on instead - it's hard for predators but easy for humans! You can get them fairly cheaply off eBay and if you get the 316 steel ones they'll last too unlike plastic :)

Last edited:
Was trying to delete this comment so I could reply to you in a quote, but cant figure it out aha. So made a new comment quoting/replying you below xD vvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure if wooden pallets would be suitable, as I'm not sure what wood they're made from. If you can find out I'm sure people would be able to tell you if they're safe. Timber is safe.

Runaround do fantastic tunnel setups: http://www.runaround.co.uk/

Cuprinol is bunny safe when dry, and comes in lots of colours. It's great for waterproofing.

A slanted roof covered in roofing felt sounds great :D Two floors also sound great, although do be aware that both floors need to be 2ft tall on the inside so that bunnies can 'periscope'. Any hutch should be 6ft x 2 x 2 ft, especially if the bunnies don't have permanent access to a run.

For the bedding/substrate what a lot of people are now doing is covering the floor with non-slip lino flooring, and sealing around the edges with bathroom sealant. This completely protects the floor, and then you're free to either continue using substrate/bedding or what might be easier is having litter trays for the buns. They take to them really quickly as long as they're neutered/spayed, and it makes cleaning out a lot easier. Even if you don't use litter trays, having lino flooring will make cleaning out soo much easier as wetness doesn't seep into anything - it's just wipe clean and so easy. I wouldn't use kitchen tiles as they're very slippy. You can place one in in hot weather for them to lie on but apart from that I'd avoid it. I'd personally also avoid straw except for very cold weather (if at all) as if bunnies eat it it's not great for them nutrition wise - you'd be best to stick to hay as food and bedding really, as whatever they nibble then is good for them :)

You mentioned you replaced the chicken wire with mesh - that's great :D The recommended size is 1 x 1/2inch maximum, and that's galvanised weld mesh of 19g or thicker. If there's any mesh on floor level you want to make sure it's definitely that strong and small. You can easily get 1/2 x 1/2 inch weld mesh on eBay which is even better than the 1 x 1/2 inch. Any cats getting their claws through can really hurt a bunny so anything at ground level needs to be even stronger :D

For weather protection I personally really like roofing sheets for the top of runs, or plywood screwed onto the top painted with cuprinol. For the hutch in the winter it might be helpful to make some shutters from polycarbonate twin walled sheet just to stop the driving rain getting in, but if your tarp covers it that's also fine! I personally love the clear tarpaulin a lot more than the blue stuff, since it's a lot more waterproof!

EDIT: On the new hutch it'd be great to add bolts. At that height it'd be very hard for a predator to actually get to the doors, but at ground level it's easy for a predator to get into hutches without bolts. And the extra ground level means they can access the upper part more easily too. I personally like the bolts that you can add a padlock to, although I just tend to put a 316 steel carabiner clip on instead - it's hard for predators but easy for humans! You can get them fairly cheaply off eBay and if you get the 316 steel ones they'll last too unlike plastic :)

Yes the runaround tunnels are what I meant, but I believe I saw the RWA doing their own too ^_^.
I will ask my dad what wood they are as I believe he would know, if not I will ask around :).
By bolts do you mean the thing the lock kinda thing? aha. If so then since the picture theres actually better hinges and some added to the bedroom side door. Two bolts/locks have been added to both the bedroom side and main area too :), should of mentioned in post :D.

Yep dont worry im aware of the height and sizes recommended. At the moment the hutch is 2.5ft wide, 2ft high and 5.5ft long. But when I remake the hutch I'm making it a bit bigger to just go over the recommended sizes :3.

Yes sorry I meant lino, completely forgot what they were actually called :D :roll: the bathroom sealant advice is really helpful too thanks! :).
Harvey doesnt eat the straw and I feel its more insulant than hay, as I have tried before. I will try and bounce between the two however to see the results :).
Hes also litter trained luckily, he took to it straight away! :D But he has the habit of tipping it up everywhere so would like some tips if possible on how to keep the litter tray in place without a big fuss when I remove it to get cleaned.

The mesh is really strong and it's 1cm spacing in the squares.

Thanks for the weather proofing tips! will definitely look into getting some of those things for sure! ^_^

Edit: I'd also like to ask how different types of woods effect my bun?, is it because they might chew on the wood or the smell? :)

Back