• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The tale of sixteen bunnies

georgiaanna

Young Bun
Hello my name is georgia,
I have recently joined and feel very welcome, thank you to everyone for their lovely welcome messeges, I thought I would tell everyone just how I got sixteen rabbits!!. I did lots of research in 2012 and decided I'd love a rabbit, so I found a breeder on a website and bought two males. A few weeks later I began to notice that boo was 'different' anyway I went off to work and when I came back I found three beautiful baby bunnies in the corner of the cage, so yes boo was in fact a girl. We named the three bunnies summer, Cinderella and Ariel. I of course immediately separated boo and butterfly. A few weeks later I said to my partner that I felt something wasn't quite right. Boo had another litter of 5, turns out he had got to boo just after she have birth!! They are named fern, ivy, polly, merlin and Percy. I then again fell in love with them and kept them. As our little family grew I was so desperate for some more bunnies and had another two named Cruella and de-Vil, unfortunately Cruella wasn't with me long only 9 months but within that 9 months she had the best life with her brother :( I was gutted I found her dead, there was no sign of illness, I immediately contacted the breeder who was the least bit helpful. A few months later my sister in law had a rabbit she bought for her son, this rabbit was named fluffy, fluffy came to me while my sister in law went on holiday and I immediately fell in love with her, I offered to keep her but was told no, a few months later my sister in law decided she did not want her anymore so I decided to keep her! Bringing us up to the magic number 12!. and settled :) no more babies ..... So I thought. I came home from work to discover dead kits. I immediately rang the vets furious, had they mis sexed a bunny? It's impossible as all of my male rabbits ARE castrated. Me and my partner went to another vets and had them all checked over it turns out our one male rabbit who was taken to the vets to be castrated had not had the procedure carried out on him!!! He had then impregnated half of the does resulting in dead kits!! I felt terrible for my beautiful does I felt as though I had put them through hell :( we found at least seventeen dead kits which was heartbreaking. A few weeks later boo gave birth to four beautiful healthy rabbits named midow, Mowgli, maggie and happy feet. The vets refused to believe that they had not carried out the procedure on my rabbit! But now 2014 and everything is FINALLY settled, I just want to tell people not to go to a breeder but in fact a rescue! I strongly believe now that a breeder is just constantly breeding unwanted rabbits! It is also so important to neuter/castrate rabbits which all of mine are. I decided to keep my rabbits as I know that rabbits are the third most popular pet yet also the most neglected, I couldn't part with any of my rabbits, they live a beautiful life, they are constantly in clean fresh bedding, they have lots of space to run around. They have the best food and hay and yes it may take all of my months wages but I love it, and when I see them binkying around happy I know it's so worth it.

Cruella R.I.P

z92bm.jpg

baby bunnies

dvoiuo.jpg

Fluffy (I fell in love with her she's gorgeous)
m82tea.jpg

Baby bunny
16bn0ye.jpg

Cruella RIP
2q1gk8h.jpg

Percy (THE NAUGHTIEST)

2zxqjoj.jpg

25ar910.jpg

4rewxk.jpg

2u89f2h.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow! Thanks for sharing the story of your 16 buns, I'd love 16! And they all get along&are family which is so sweet Xx

Thankyou, its a shame mine dont get along like yours do!

Sorry you lost one of them too, its always hard loosing a bun!:( x

hiya Amy,
aww bless have you got males or females ? :)
thank you that's really kind, she was a beautiful rabbit, she loved her food, it is heart breaking.

hiya Amy,
aww bless have you got males or females ? :)
thank you that's really kind, she was a beautiful rabbit, she loved her food, it is heart breaking.

Females! They need spaying though, just saving up! :thumb:

she was beautiful and had lovely markings, and food is the way to their hearts hey!

Females! They need spaying though, just saving up! :thumb:

she was beautiful and had lovely markings, and food is the way to their hearts hey!

awwwh lovely :D its so expensive isn't it spaying them!
I am constantly worried about myxamotosis! its such a worry with bunnies x

Are they vaccinated? My girls are vaccinated but I still worry about it :lol:

Yeah they're expensive but they're worth every penny! X

I was going to ask if your girls are spayed, it's just as important as getting males neutered isn't it :) If your buns are vaccinated then you shouldn't need to worry about myxi really! :) You have beautiful bunnies xx

I was going to ask if your girls are spayed, it's just as important as getting males neutered isn't it :) If your buns are vaccinated then you shouldn't need to worry about myxi really! :) You have beautiful bunnies xx

hiya thank you chloe :) yes all are neutered/castrated/vaccinated :D how many rabbits do you have ? :) xxxxx I love your picture too your bunnies are gorgeous xx

I have eight rabbits (two pairs and a quad). I would love them all to live together but dont want to risk upsetting their current relationships.

16!!! You must be furious with the vet practice who didnt castrate your buck ... did you ever get an apology or refund?

I have eight rabbits (two pairs and a quad). I would love them all to live together but dont want to risk upsetting their current relationships.

16!!! You must be furious with the vet practice who didnt castrate your buck ... did you ever get an apology or refund?

hello tulsi,
wow eight you must be very busy then!
No, we had no proof unfortunately, the vets used the fact I had so many rabbits that I had mixed them up. I know each and every one of my rabbits, they all have different personalities, likes, dislikes etc. the boss was very rude and only refunded us 25.00. I now have 5 extra rabbits (not that I regret them) but 25.00 would not cover even a weeks worth of food. very poor vets indeed. they also misexed a lot of my rabbits and told me my rabbits were pregnant when they weren't.

Wow they look lovely together :love: Just seen them on RWAF on Facebook too :lol: My bunnies have a dead rowan tree in their run and they've lived stripping the bark off it! I'm sure your bunnies will take a shine to their logs soon ;)

Lovely photos of your bunnies. I'm sorry you and they were let down by breeders and vets, but they all look very happy now.

I didn't have my rabbit, Spenser, as a baby. It is hard to imagine him a tiny kit, but he must have been!

Back