• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persistant Ear Infection

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Hi all

My bunny has had an ear infection since April this year. He is on depocillin antibiotic injection (well at the moment he is on a break). the thing is it clears up quite a bit, not entirely, whilst he is on the antibiotic but as soon as it is stopped the pus is back in his ear. I think he needs to try a different antibiotic or something alongside it. He also had a tooth abcess which for the moment has settled. He is an old chap at 10.

Would appreciate any advice.

Pandora

In this sort of situation it is usually a case of treating to contain the infection. Without lots of invasive surgery under GA a cure is unlikely. Personally I would not put a 10 year old Rabbit through a GA/Surgery, but that decision is for the owner and the Vet involved to make for the individual Rabbit concerned.

If he tolerates Depocillin well he could remain on it longterm. Is he on Metacam ? Ear infections can be painful as can some tooth root abscesses.

If he has been on a break from Depocillin then the Vet could take a swab from the ear canals to try to identify the bacteria involved and the most suitable antibiotic to treat it with. Some bacteria can become resistant to Penicillins.

Hi.Unfortuately ear infections are difficult to treat.My bunny had one last spring which was treated with daily Duphapen injections(previous to that Depocillin every 3 days)and a med called Marbocyl which seemed helpful too.I think having a daily dose meant that the antibiotic level in his system didn't drop significantly before the next dose was due so it worked more effectively than a dose every three days.He was well for about 7 months before it flared up again and we were straight back to the daily injections.There are other alternatives but because your bunny is elderly they probably wouldn't be suitable.
I hope your bunny is on the mend very soon.It can be frustrating dealing with bunny ear infections but penicillin injections can be very effective although it can take some time to see results.

Last edited:
Persistant ear Infection

Thanks for your replies and the advice. I am off to the vets today with my bunny. He has started to be wet under his chin and it is only about 4 weeks since he had his dental. So I am dreading what the vet will say as he is 10 years old and we don't want to keep putting him through GA/dentals at his age. He seems ok in himself today and eating pellets and veg this morning.

Pandora

Persistant ear Infection

Back from the vets. Apparently my bunny has broken a tooth, it was flagged as wobbly when he had his dental. He will go back on antibiotics in about a week for his ear infection. I asked about a culture, the vet said the pus would be sterile and not be able to tell which bacteria it is. He is permanently on metacam for arthritis. Also the vet said because the depocillin can affect the gut it may be better a month on it and a month off. I would definitely not put him through an ear operation at his age. He has also had a tooth abcess which has settled for the moment so maybe that is why the vet wants to stick with the depocillin.

Pandora

Back