• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attaching a permanent run

Hi all, I have a predicament. I adopted a rabbit from a lady who couldn't look after him anymore. She gave me her hutch that he was kept in however it is far too small. At the moment i am using a dog cage with a pen attached, however it is not possible to keep him inside anymore. I don't really have the funds to buy a new hutch but i was thinking if i could attach a permanent run to the hutch it would be more suitable. The hutch is 5x2 and similar to this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Single-Wooden-Rabbit-Hutch-on-Legs_1000770482.html.

I was wondering how to attach a large run to it, maybe so it goes all the way round so that he can hide underneath if he wants to. Any ideas welcome. Could i buy a run as im not so good at DIY?
Thanks in advance.
Stacey

Hi Stacy,

There are a few different ways you could do it. Once important thing to think about is how you'll access the hutch one the run is attached. A tunnel between does make opening the doors easier. You really want about 2' high for the run so the legs might be a bit short to wrap a run around without the lid going over the door. One option is to make the hutch face outwards, but then you can't use the hutch door for him to get into the run.

Putting the hutch on top and having a ramp down is a common option, it wouldn't be too tough to extend the legs or if you got a sturdy run, you could just put a couple of planks across to sit it on.

Another option is to go tall enough the run cover the whole hutch - depends how tall you are and if you mind bending down to get in.

It's worth having a look out for second hand hutches/runs/sheds - sometimes they can work out cheaper than just buying a new run.

Back