• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long should I wait to start bonding?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Talullah was spayed a week ago.
I just want to get on and do it now, I hate the thought that she's got to go if it doesn't work out (she's a foster I've fallen I love with).
I can wait though if I need to I wouldn't want anything to jeopardise the bond, I just don't really know how long it takes for the hormones to die down, she's a lot calmer than before her spay.

Personally, I'd wait 6 weeks after a doe has been spayed. It's a big operation and not only are you waiting for hormones to die down, you're also waiting for her insides to have properly healed. A buck WILL try to mount her, even if he's already neutered and I'm not sure having her insides poked :shock:, or just all the stress and running around often caused by bonding, so soon after a big operation is a good idea. I wouldn't like it to happen to me.

I agree with Mackers. Are you more or less ready to bond. Good prep helps enormously - are you going for a small space or a larger one where you can make it more interesting for them?

Back