• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UV lights for indoor rabbits?

scatter

Alpha Buck
Does anybody use UV lights for indoor rabbits at all. My two have access outside too on a regular basis, but I wondered if they would benefit from a UV light, or is this is just a very silly idea:?

Last edited:
I can't say I've ever considered it. I have indoor bunnies who have no outdoor time (I don't have a garden).

I'm pretty sure that they get vitamin D (the vitamin they get from UV) from pellets. Don't quote me on that though as I'm still pretty new to rabbits!

I can't say I've ever considered it. I have indoor bunnies who have no outdoor time (I don't have a garden).

I'm pretty sure that they get vitamin D (the vitamin they get from UV) from pellets. Don't quote me on that though as I'm still pretty new to rabbits!

Yes, I believe they do get some from pellets - I suppose I was wondering if it's enough - hopefully somebody may know:thumb:

Do bunnies get SAD syndrome? I think it highly unlikely...I bought some "natural daylight" bulbs for my house a couple of years ago and can honestly say I haven't noticed any difference myself!:lol: So I really don't think it'll make any difference to a bunny. I think dry food will provide adequate vitamins, but you could look up which are the best vegetables that bunnies can eat and give them veg which contain Vit D ( I'm not sure if there are any as I haven't checked myself...but maybe worth looking into)

Wild buns spend a good deal of the daylight hours in their burrows (I think?) so uv lighting probably doesn't matter much since vit D can be gotten from pellets.

if you do decide to push boat out and get them it make sure you get a bird one not a reptile one. apparently according to bird forums they are quite different.
ps i got a couple of day light bulbs for myself and i felt they did help with winter yuck feelings

if you do decide to push boat out and get them it make sure you get a bird one not a reptile one. apparently according to bird forums they are quite different.
ps i got a couple of day light bulbs for myself and i felt they did help with winter yuck feelings

Ooo - thanks - that's very useful to know:thumb:

I've only seen the type used for humans and their light is too intense even for me with my face turned sideways to it. :( I'd be afraid they'd stare into it somehow and go blind.

Yeah those special 'daylight' bulbs seem to be a gimmick. The shade of light is easier on the eyes but it never did anything for my S.A.D. A moot point now that we are being forced to use the new flourescents. :?

I've only seen the type used for humans and their light is too intense even for me with my face turned sideways to it. :( I'd be afraid they'd stare into it somehow and go blind.

Yeah those special 'daylight' bulbs seem to be a gimmick. The shade of light is easier on the eyes but it never did anything for my S.A.D. A moot point now that we are being forced to use the new flourescents. :?

Well, that's true!!;)

Oh - I hadn't thought of the eyesight issue - it seems there's more cons than pros!

Back