• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking my wounds, what a day and another OMG 'hutch'

so I'm a member of a few buy/sale groups on FB, someone posted a 'hutch' for sale

I commented and since my FB hasn't stopped receiving nasty vile messages from rabbit owners

I've since been banned from the site .. altho I think I am quite glad now

heres my offending post, I didn't see the need to hide my name

so I'm a member of a few buy/sale groups on FB, someone posted a 'hutch' for sale

I commented and since my FB hasn't stopped receiving nasty vile messages from rabbit owners

I've since been banned from the site .. altho I think I am quite glad now

heres my offending post, I didn't see the need to hide my name

Discusting:cry:

Bah! I see loads of these for sale and I HATE all of them.

There was a woman selling joiner made 3ft wide hutches on a Hartlepool selling page and I just couldn't help myself. I put a comment on telling her of the recommendations and her answer was just basically 'all the pet shops sell them'

She has advertised the 3ft hutch as beinf suitable for 'small rabbits' but just couldn't grasp the concept of even small rabbits needing 6ft at least...ridiculous really. People need to use common sense...

Just to let you know that you are not supposed to post links to critisise (I do agree that this kind of plastic box is not suitable/kind for rabbits).

Just to let you know that you are not supposed to post links to critisise (I do agree that this kind of plastic box is not suitable/kind for rabbits).

I posted a link to a picture, I suppose that's not ok either

just incase your wondering this cage is 2' x 1' I guess its fabulously suitable to rabbits judging by the reactions on here

I posted a link to a picture, I suppose that's not ok either

just incase your wondering this cage is 2' x 1' I guess its fabulously suitable to rabbits judging by the reactions on here

Absolutely not, everyone has agreed with you.
It is in the rules to not post links criticising but no idea about images. All those cages are good for are litter trays!
I would say though if you come across something like this again is to try and be calm, people can get their backs up really quickly if they don't like what they are being told. Making reference to RWAF A Hutch Is Not Enough campaign is always a good thing :)
If I see something like this (although I avoid selling pages now) I do a short post highlighting rabbit care/hutch sizes/RWAF then block notifications so if people don't agree I don't see it. They can take the advice if they want to but I just remember the quote.. "Those who know they are wrong, shout the loudest".

2' x 1'? My rat cage was actually bigger then that, it's way to small to keep a rabbit in, even a small one! If you've come here looking for sympathy I think you may be barking up the wrong tree, just saying....

2' x 1'? My rat cage was actually bigger then that, it's way to small to keep a rabbit in, even a small one! If you've come here looking for sympathy I think you may be barking up the wrong tree, just saying....

:O Beg your pardon, I thought _you_ had posted the cage for sale!!! Sorry about that, yea way too bloody small and I would have said something too!

exactly!! I thought I might get some as I thought you were all animal lovers

but you have just proved me right! well you keep putting your rabbits in little tiny cages like this and I'll keep ranting!

you make me sick!

but you have just proved me right! well you keep putting your rabbits in little tiny cages like this and I'll keep ranting!

you make me sick!

No, I thought YOU were selling the cage, read it wrong, just like I think you've read all the other comments to this wrong... Uh, never mind:/ Obviousely I don't keep my rabbit in a small cage otherwise why would I say that that one is too small, people here do love their rabbits otherwise they would be on here!

Last edited:
People are agreeing with you. But we have a policy on here of not posting links to things like that because sometimes it results in a lot of abuse to the person selling. And we try to reason with people. Ie you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But as it's a link to an image that's probably ok. I'll alert a mod to come have a look.

you make me sick!

Currant Bun mistakenly thought the cage you'd posted was yours but was actually agreeing with you that it was too small. I've quoted from the forum rules below too as you might not have seen them because your reply was very rude.

Tone of Posts
The forum should be a supportive place to visit. It is possible to disagree with something without turning it into an insult. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you are saying it that causes a problem. For example, if someone is feeding their rabbit in a way you consider bad you could say:

"Why are you feeding your rabbit that rubbish? You should have done more research and fed it this instead. You better change it quickly before your rabbit dies."
Or

"Have you thought about swapping to pellets? Quite a few forum members feed these as they have more fibre so are better for their gut."

The first is likely to get you a warning from admin and chase the rabbits owner away. The second is friendly and tactful and will encourage the owner to listen to your advice. Sometimes it's difficult to be patient if you see something happening you think is wrong but staying calm and polite will generally get the most successful response in the end.

Like some others have touched on, ranting at people isn't likely to change their minds though as they just end up switching off. The message is far more likely to be heard if you can keep it polite and factual - include some links to the RWAF or similar to back up your claims and leave it at that. Even if the person you're talking to doesn't take it on board, somebody else reading it just might.

I know most of us on here would think that 'But pet shops sell them so they must be ok" isn't really a good enough excuse & that owners should do their own research but the general public often tend to assume that pet shops do know what they're talking about. Imo, it's pet shops that need to be persuaded to change for anything to improve in the long term - if they don't market the smaller cages as suitable for rabbits, then there can be no misunderstanding & the RWAF have a retailers charter to try to address this.

This is so tiny, i dont understand how anyone could feel fine with putting pretty much any animal in that... My hamsters (who i admit are all very spoilt XD ) have larger cages than that, and maybe that tray could be used as a carry cage or a litter tray :lol: Also, £50! :shock: thats a lot for some flimsy plastic and bars, especially that small XD

Back